Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fourth of July Photo Shoot- Our Caboose

When I found out I was expecting our fourth child I was terrified. Not terrified about childbirth or any of the normal things that usually trouble pregnant women. No, I was terrified because what if it was another boy? I love my boys- don't get me wrong, but at the time, I just didn't know if I could handle another one.

We had just made an international move from a place that we loved to a place we weren't sure we would end up loving just as much. We had purchased a home, accomplished various improvement projects, finished the basement, replaced all of the flooring, and painted until I couldn't see straight. All of this we did within six months of moving back to Utah.

I was tired...and pregnant on top of that.


It was time to have another baby that much I knew deep down, I just wasn't very excited about it like I had been about the others. My only hope was that I would have a girl.

At our ultrasound appointment I was sure the technician was going to tell us it was going to be another boy- 99.9% sure, so when she announced it was a girl I about went into shock. Apparently, I wasn't the only one. Ashton got really upset and started saying nasty things like the boys were going to pull her hair and lock her in the crawlspace. We managed to leave the office without DCFS being called and it hit me again- I was going to have a girl!


I was relieved. I was elated. I was back to being terrified again.

I had three brothers and no sisters. I have three boys. I have always naturally gotten along better with boys than girls. Boys were easy, girls on the other hand....well, honestly, I didn't know much about girls- even though I am one! But I needed to find out quick because we were going to get a girl even though I kept asking myself, "What would we ever do with her?"


Well, almost four years, and one beautiful baby girl with big soft brown eyes later, I still ask myself questions regarding what we should do with her- only now the questions have changed slightly. Now I ask myself, "What would we ever do without her?"

7 comments:

Rachel said...

:D I've been waiting for these shots. I could just scoop up that little brown eyed bundle who I think is sooo adorable and Mr. J's future wife.

Rachel said...

P.S. Ask Michelle Tuinei what happened when I found out I was having a girl?????

Chastina said...

What beautiful eyes!

Rachel, Mr. J is going to have some competition because Mr. K still talked about "My Emma."

Huffstuff said...

LIKE :) She is cutest thing ever.

Unknown said...

Awwwwwwwwww. Such a sweet post. LOVE it.

K said...

Blogger is giving me comment fits today. A girl is a different experience. I got one twirling girl and one pirate girl. Both are clear spirits with a determination to make HF proud. I always wanted a big brother - but got a little one (who grew into an epic sphere for a while) instead. families are so different. But the one common thing is the preciousness of the spirits we hold. And taking pictures.

Rachel said...

Little girls are wonderful! Don't they add that delicious bit of magic to each family? :)