Monday, January 26, 2009

10 Years Ago...

Ten years ago today, January 26th, Richard brought me home from McKay Dee hospital with our first bundle of joy, Ashton. I still remember the careful way Richard drove home, like we had the worlds most priceless posession that would break at the slightest bump. We were the paranoid parents who took every precaution. I had made it through labor and childbirth, but the real test was still to come. Did Father in heaven know what he was doing trusting that perfect little being to my care with all my imperfections?
It didn't matter though, because we thought Ashton ruled the world. And truthfully, he did (atleast, for 4 years until Dallin made his debut.) And he acts likes he still does and sometimes I believe it! Some things never change.

One thing that hasn't changed, look at his handsome face! He has always been handsome. Take a look.

Messing up that handsome face hasn't changed either. After 10 years you think he would be coordinated enough to keep his birthday cake on his fork and make it into his mouth, but what fun would that be! Some things never change. See.....
NOW.....


THEN.....
One thing that has changed... my baby has gotten big. The other night I needed to go outside and couldn't find my shoes. Ashton's were sitting by the front door so I decided to try to slip them on.....
...yes, those are my feet. As comfortable in Ashton's shoes, as though they were my own. I was sad, felt old and thought where did my baby go!?!

The one thing that will never change, no matter how big he gets, is how much I love him and how glad I am that Heavenly Father trusted me to be his mom. Happy Birthday, My Ted Bear.

4 comments:

Chastina said...

They grow up so fast! Sunday night I found out that Marci Carlson doesn't want Jessie to grow up anymore. I think that is the way most moms feel. I feel that way too.

Huffstuff said...

Happy Birthday Ashton! I can't believe how fast those 10 years went either. I know how you feel about the shoes bit. Just wait until the day Richard's shoes fit Ashton. Thats when reality really hits and makes you feel old and makes you realize that they aren't your baby anymore! (Hayden has been wearing Dan's dress shoes to church size 10 1/2)

Ty n Casey's Mom said...

What a cute post!! You are an awesome mom Nat. I'm glad to know I'm in good company in not wanting my babies to grow up. Plus I remember feeling the same way bringing Tyler home from the hospital. I was so nervous I would do something wrong. Funny.

Rachel said...

I'll never forget the day that I could fit into Brennan's shoes...or he could fit into mine.....and now.....his feet are bigger than his daddy's.....sigh...doesn't seem fair does it?