Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Family Friend

Our family has a special friend. He has been considered a part of our family since the Christmas of 1999. He has accompanied us on many family vacations, various special events, and even a random shopping trip or two. But mostly he is just there during, and yes, sometimes an accomplice to, the day to day mayhem that is the Parke household.

At times he has been a friend to one child more than another, but only because they needed him more right then. Currently, he has become a sort of sidekick for Benjamin. Heck, he practically spent every day in pre-school with him last year and has had the opportunity to get in a few Kindergarten lesson this year as well. It is a relief for me to know that someone can be there when Mom & Dad can't.

He's never intrusive, just supportive, while sporting a pleasant expression on his face, quietly watching from the sidelines. Yep, stalwart, silent, supportive, and I might as well add "stuffed" because as you can see our special friend is Bear, a big brown fuzzy teddy bear.


So when I tucked Ben into bed the other night and he whispered to me that the next day was Bear's birthday, I couldn't say no to throwing our good and loyal friend a surprise party.





Now you may think it is silly to throw a party for a child's favorite stuffy, but I think that this smile is worth all the silliness in the world. Don't you?

Plus, I'll use any excuse to indulge in some fabulous chocolate cake any day.

7 comments:

K said...

Honey, it is never silly to respect the love of a child. Or to listen to a child and take him seriously - especially a male child, expressing love. His wife will thank you for this - you have made it safe for him to feel and to do for the creature he feels for. I think it's GRAND.

Huffstuff said...

Your family is just simply awesome. I think having this party for mr. bear was a great idea, and esp. for Ben! Thanks again for coming up last weekend, it was alot of fun and it was good for all the kids! (even the big ones)

Rob and Marseille said...

what a fun idea!

Chastina said...

I LOVE that you did that! What a great way to show Ben that you listen to him.

Anonymous said...

That is about the coolest thing I've ever heard of.

Seriously awesome.

The Nixons said...

Oh you guys are all so cute!

Gerb said...

I'm SO glad this post wasn't about your cat.

;)