Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Back From Black

It has taken me over a month to get this post written due to computer complications (who knew a little light bulb could cause such a ruckus) and it isn't even what I really wanted to convey to you. But honestly, those feelings are hard for me to put into words. By the time you get to the end of it, I hope you understand and forgive me.

If the whole wedding reception tradition hadn't been so formal when I got married, I would have had two Bridesmen along with my Bridesmaids standing in the reception line. One of them would have been this guy, my friend, Digger.


Obviously, Digger is not his real name, but it is what he has gone by as long as I have known him and he still answers to it today. He is one of my best friends from high school who let me drag him to early morning Seminary Morningsides and kept Mr. Trimble's Spanish class, down right bearable. He could make me smile on the worst of days and took me to Senior Cotillion, when my R.M. boyfriend (Richard) had no interest in attending a high school dance. Although, I know Digger would have rather taken the girl that is now his wife.

But that life seems like a hundred lifetimes ago before we traded in the responsibilities and fun of high school for those of grown ups with families of our own.

Over the last three months, as I have gotten my children settled in to a new school year, Digger has watched as doctors at PCMC settled his little girl, Gracie, into a medically induced coma. As I have shuttled my kids to and from basketball, football, and other lessons, he has watched as Gracie has been shuttled to and from the operating room for various procedures to stop or slow down the seizures that have taken hold of  her little 9 year old body. Over the last month, as I woke my children to each new day Digger and his wife, Mindy, have wondered if this would be the day they saw their daughters eyes again as the doctors brought her slowly out of the coma.

Sometimes life seems really unfair.

I want to tell you Digger and Gracie's story because of a video I saw the other day. It was delivered to our inbox from a radio talk show host that we regularly receive mass emails from. It was a video where a toddler, about the age of two, is hit by a delivery van in a Chinese marketplace and how many minutes elapse before anyone helps the crying baby. It was honestly, the most horrific thing I have ever seen. The horrifying part not being seeing that child cry out in pain, but to watch 18 different people walk or drive by, obviously notice the child and not do ANYTHING! I didn't, because I couldn't, watch the whole thing.

The talk show's host intent on sharing the video was to show what living in a communistic country, under heavy rule by the government in all aspects of their lives, does to the charitable and basic humanity of its inhabitants.

 I guess he got his point across because I started to think about Digger's little Gracie, her situation and how the people of the communities in Utah (and I'm sure other places as well) have handled it. Here is a little girl and her family who have spent over 100 days in Primary Children's in the fight of their lives, just like the toddler laying in the street. This fight has taken a heavy toll on their family- both emotionally and financially. Instead of walking by and hoping that the next guy will do something many people, some that know Gracie and even more that don't, have stopped to give aid to a girl and her family in need.

People have organized and carried out a 5K and carnival with enough participants to catch the media's eye. Neighborhoods have held yard and bake sales. Friends and family have participated in special fasts. Restaurants have held dinners in Gracie's honor and donated the profits. Accounts have been set up where annoymous donations can be made. It has blown me away to see how people have stepped up and poured out all kinds of charity simply because of the goodness of their hearts.

This is the world I am thankful to live in.

A world where, thanks in part to those friends and strangers who have not only supported Gracie financially, but also with positive thoughts and prayers, she opened her eyes after 11 weeks in a coma on 11/11/11. And now a month later, she has been moved out of the ICU to a Neuro Unit and is making miraculous strides in her rehab and recovery.


Isn't it amazing what a little compassion, coupled with hope and prayer can do? It saddens my heart to think of children living in worlds where compassion is crushed by the fear of  "getting involved" and hope and prayer are nonexistent in a God-less society. Now I know the video is not indicative of all Chinese people as a whole, so here is my hope and my prayer that the baby laying in the street was afforded a miracle, just like Gracie .

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my heart...... I remember when you first told me about this little girl. God bless her and her family!!

As for that video, it would have had me sobbing. I can't handle stuff like that. I just can't.

Richard & Natalie said...

Rach, It was one of those times when I couldn't do anything, but feel horrified and then physically sick.

And yes, God, has definitely blessed Gracie and her family a great deal.

Chastina said...

I'm so grateful for the religious freedom we enjoy.

K said...

I couldn't have watched one second of it. In fact, now that I know it exists, I will not go anywhere near it. I don't know how the Lord stands it, being aware of the fate of each of his babies, all through their lives. And worse than the suffering of the little child must be feeling the death inside of those who are still alive enough to walk somewhere without response. There are a million ways to suffer, some very evident, some not evident at all - Dickens' Marley, in the Christmas Carol, points this out clearly - so much need, so much more than all of us together could address if we spent every day of our lives doing nothing but that. But this is why we are told to raise our children - to RAISE them, not just give birth to them - to leaven the loaf and reduce the body of suffering by teaching them to walk in beauty themselves, and then to see and act where they are able. Thus we grow geometrically, and if the gospel were taught and lived by more and more people, eventually, that burden that Christ still bears of love and compassion will become light to him also.

Gerb said...

Like everyone else has said, I could not ever watch such a video. And if I ever did so unknowingly I know it would haunt me. I, too, have seen what an amazing place and culture we live in with the development of my sweet niece's FOP and the outpouring of love and support from people who don't even know her. Sometimes I can't even think about it because it overwhelms me with happy emotions (which, unfortunately, sap my energy). I love this post. I pray that Gracie continues to recover and that her family continues to be blessed.

Unknown said...

I am so happy to hear that Gracie is doing better. That is wonderful!

What a delight to see the two of you in that photo - it took me right back to high school.

Tell "Digger" hello.
xo.

Corine Moore said...

Hi. I haven't been here for a while but thought I would stop by briefly.

I saw PART of the video you spoke of, not knowing before hand what would happen; it was so horrible that I screamed, shut it off - and balled my eyes out. We are so blessed to live in a country that is founded upon principles that encourage kindness and decency. Freedom is a sacred treasure! I'm SO thankful that your friends daughter, and so many other children are SO cherished...