Friday, June 25, 2010

Blessing in Disguise

Prior to our vacation fun, we had wedding fun with our niece Katie, and her sweetheart Kendall.

Theirs is a fairytale for sure, but that is her story to blog about.
This is mine....

Their sealing ceremony was slated for 7:50 a.m. in the Salt Lake Temple, which meant we would have to leave by 7:00 to get there on time. This also meant we would need a babysitter. I don't know about you, but I don't know many people who are very happy to get up at the crack of dawn during the summer to watch my kids... unless you are my mother and their grandma.  Since the reception was north of Salt Lake and closer to my parent's house than ours, it just made sense to take the kids to their house the night before, stay overnight, and take the kids to the reception on our way back to Provo. It was the perfect plan.

We left to go to my parents home later than planned which raised my anxiety level for reasons not important to the story, so I'm not including them. Just know I was a little stressed. Anyways, as we were coming upon American Fork, I was assaulted by a smell. This smell was pungent and nasty. It came out of nowhere and it puzzled me. I noticed that there were fields off to the west... It is spring and with crops being planted surely farmers fertilize their fields... that must be what the smell is. This was a great theory, an excellent theory in fact, until I caught a glimpse of Emma out of the corner of my eye.

It's funny how many things can go through your mind in a split second- Where did she get chocolate from? The kids ate all the fudge covered shortbread yesterday. She must have found a stray melty M&M in her car seat. Hold on...that smell's still here and the fields are gone.... It was as these thoughts concluded that Emma said, "Mommy, my fingers are poopy." and traffic came to a standstill because of construction.

I won't write the thoughts or words that went through my mind at that juncture. I still want you to like me.

I phoned ahead to Richard in the truck. (Yes, we had 2 vehicles. Mainly because I think we enjoy wasting money on gas and he doesn't have to listen to my music. Just kidding....well, at least about the wasting money part.) Anyway...we pulled off the freeway into a parking lot and I opened the lift gate to retrieve the duffel bag containing the diapers and wipes.

It wasn't there. 

I stood there for a brief second in disbelief at the state of my luck.

It was at home...sitting on my cedar chest...at the end of my bed...where I packed it.

Crap.

Literally.

That duffel bag also contained all of the kid's clothes; their jammies, play clothes, and dress clothes for the reception the next day. We needed that bag...and not only for Emma's 'fudgy' fingers. 

Richard headed home to get the forgotten bag. I found some cleansing wipes in the first aid kit and attempted to get rid of the source of the smell before hitting the road and hightailing it to my mom's bathtub. 

Somewhere between Lagoon and the Layton Hills Mall it occurred to me that God has to have a sense of humor and must enjoy coming up with creative ways in which to "bless" the lives of his children. Because the truth is we really needed that bag because according to MapQuest my parent's home is 74.4 miles and if I actually drove the speed limit, 1 hour and 20 minutes away from mine. Getting there without that bag would have thrown the biggest  monster of a monkey wrench into the best laid plans. So I am grateful that He chose to send a blessing my way that night....even if it came disguised in something less than heavenly.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Okay Natalie! You're awesome! The story is hilarious. Only because I've been there a million (feels like it) times and then you totally wiped the laughter off my face with a gasp and replaced it with awe! The ending to your story is inspiring. YOU are inspiring because if you weren't, you wouldn't have come up with what you did.

PMC said...

now that...THAT...is choosing gratitude and happiness. natalie. you are ultra fabulous. ultra. like ultra concentrated fabulous!!!

thank you!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Another reason to adore you. I can't wait for the next "teaching opportunity" with my kids. I might use some of God's sense of humor with my own gang. Seriously, though....that is SO disgusting! I laugh each time I picture her face.

Chastina said...

I'm laughing and shaking my head in disbelief at the same time. So glad you were able to see the blessing!

K said...

Oh, honey. Yes. I remember this kind of thing. You know, there's a lot to say for being a dang old lady.

Carrilyne said...

HA HA HA!! Dang summer! We never have time to chat!! We need to go running!!

Teachinfourth said...

Your pain is our pleasure? Your lament is our laughter?

It's always funnier from another person's perspective, isn't it?

Richard & Natalie said...

Sorry all. I kind of forgot I hadn't replied to the comments on this post. Whoops...I'll be better in the future. Promise.

Rachel, You give me too much credit. Hopefully, I made up for the nasty thoughts that occurred immediately figuring out what it was.

Misty, Concentrated? I like that. It implies I can actually concentrate.

Lyndee, Yeah, me too. I'm taking notes for when (cross your fingers) I become a Goddess someday.

Chastina, That's kind of what I was doing. If you laugh you can't cry, right?

K, With my luck, it'll happen with my grandkids too. ;)

Carrilyne, It's sad isn't it and your just across the street! Running together? YES, please!

TF, Yes, sir. You betcha. And yes, indeedy!

Oh, and you're welcome too.