Tuesday, June 22, 2010

How I Know They Are Glad to be Home...

Yesterday, I found myself mostly tethered to the bottom half of my house. I was busy getting caught up on laundry, paying bills, banking, returning e-mails, downloading pictures, reading blogs, and Facebook- you know doing the important stuff that has to be done after you've been away. The kids played relatively quietly upstairs. I rarely saw them except for the occasional request for a drink or meal. PJs weren't exchanged for clothes until friends showed up late in the day and when a friend suggested they play at his house my son declined, wanting to stay home. I couldn't blame him; it was nice to just stay where we were.

Later I went upstairs and found what had been keeping  my little munchkins so busily employed. I knew that all of the Legos were being played with as I found two fully clothed children in the bathtub the night before (and a third who I would bet good money on was in the tub until he heard me coming in) testing the seaworthiness of their creations. But yesterday their creativity stretched from ships to forts and bases which were all promptly bombed and blown to smithereens in a myriad of different, yet ultimately cool ways.
Or so I hear.

Operation Destruction, in turn littered Emma's and the playroom with toys, stuffys, action figures, Legos, and books galore.
To describe it in a word- disaster.

Today, we made Mickey Mouse sugar cookies for the neighbors who helped out with the cat, turtle, and the pile of mail I forgot to suspend delivery of.

We also played with play dough.

Then we painted.

Basically, we just moved from one mess to another.

In other words, things at the Parke home are back to normal.
It's good to be back.

I think.



BTW- I don't always take picture of messes around my house. But my new camera finally came, after we left for Disneyland I might add, and he and I are taking some time and of course pictures in order to get to know one another.

9 comments:

The Nixons said...

We have missed you! And so glad that you had a good time and that you are all home safe and sound!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Lol! Seriously know what you're talking about. It's amazing how fast it happens too.

PMC said...

i love the fine print!

the pictures are great...especially the painting one. whew. you are such a good mom!

welcome back. well, to provo. ;)

Chastina said...

So glad you are getting to know your new camera! It's been pretty quiet when I've been outside today. I guess your kids are truly enjoying being home by not even going outside?

Rachel said...

That is a mess? Oh heaven help me.....I give up!

Glad you are home! We missed you.

Richard & Natalie said...

Julie, I missed you guys too. I'm looking forward to GN tomorrow.

Lyndee, It is amazing isn't it? It happens like at the speed of light or faster, I swear.

Ok, not really, but it seems like it.

Misty, Me and Cam are becoming buds. I just wish I had him at Disneyland. :(

Chastina, The little ones aren't liking the heat so much so they are staying inside. We did pull out the pool today. Did they make up for being too quiet yesterday? because believe me, I know they can.

Rachel, Those were the least messiest parts of the mess. I didn't want to shock you into a stupor, you know.

Teachinfourth said...

Glad you're back, and that normal chaos has re-ensued as per usual.

Enjoy it and the new camera...

K said...

Yes, and the pictures of "messes" tell the story of a house built around children and families. We learn the most in the midst of making messes. I have a sign in my front hall that says "Dull women have immaculate houses." Not always true, of course, but the point is that immaculate is static and requires constant tending while real life is gritty and crazy - and the creative life cannot be lived in the middle of civilized and socially acceptable order. There is powerful energy behind these messes, and the centers of that energy will bless your name forever for allowing them to use their magic.

One time I decided to organize my thousands of dollars worth of quilting fabric - hundreds and hundreds of quarter to half yards of color and texture. I threw all of it down on the living room floor, ready to separate the colors into boxes - I could NOT believe the burst of compelling energy that came out of all that raw material = colors mixed with things I'd NEVER have thought to mix them with - and it was like the room was charged with the need to combine and create. I almost had to put it all away because all I ended up able to do was sit in the middle of it and cry.

That's what creative chaos does - you either explode into learning, or you get overwhelmed and cry. And maybe that's why "civilized" people don't approve of mess. Too compelling. Too raw. Too much grabbing of the heart and pushing toward our powerful divine nature.

Richard & Natalie said...

TF, It's good to be back and I am enjoying the camera. Can't you tell? I took pictures of my messy house, for heaven's sake. :)

K, I love the saying "Dull women have immaculate houses." I will have to remember that when I stress about doing fun things instead of the laundry, dusting, etc. And yes, the saying is not always true; I find people with OCD completely fascinating.

PS- Thanks for your wise comment. It couldn't have come at a more perfect time.