Saturday, July 31, 2010

Almost Like Christmas

Standing on my front porch the sound of the big truck's engine reached my ears before my eyes caught site of it rounding the bend at the end of the road.  The excitement in me rose.

Could it be?

A search of the recesses of my memory told me the date was indeed within the correct time frame. The truck was the correct colors- brown and golden yellow- not the competitors white with purple and orange logo branded on its side. (A side note of apology to my brother Nate, a driver for the competition). The truck hadn't stopped yet, but the driver was slowing, glancing to the right and then to the left looking at house numbers.

It just had to be.

I ran into the kitchen to avoid looking like I was anxiously awaiting a delivery and to stop the rising hope that the big brown truck would indeed stop at our house instead of my neighbor's like he normally does. Within seconds there was a knock on the glass of our screen door. With the front door being propped open I had a full view of a Doug Heffernan look-a-like clad in the brown shorts with boots and all.

It was here!

I nonchalantly made my way out to the porch where Mr. UPS left a rather large cardboard box for me. Only nothing in it is actually for me, my name just graces the shipping label and the card that paid for it all.

Away from little eyes, my box and I stealthily head to my room where the door is promptly shut and locked. Interruptions won't do for what happens next. The packing tape is slit with a trusty bobby pin and the flaps are slowly folded back to reveal a pile of plastic packages in an assortment of colors; like gifts within a gift. I sift and sort and then I rip. Plastic bags take flight going this way and that, creating a substantial snowstorm of plastic flakes. When the last bag lands noiselessly amongst the others, there they sat- brand new school clothes.

There were five new shirts for each boy to get them through the first week of school (with 1 or 2 put away for Christmas or birthdays) and a small collection of outfits for Emma. Although Emma doesn't attend school yet, she is my only girl and without older siblings for hand-me-downs she had nothing for cold weather when fall came. Plus, I suppose I'm a bit partial to flowers, unicorns, and butterflies as opposed to skater and sport graphics. Thus, I am justified.

I held them up, each one individually, admiring their unfaded, unstained, and unwrinkled appearance (except for the fold creases that scream new) noting the size and color and how it would fare for the intended child. They were perfect. Even the kids thought so.

They were also a great deal considering the amount I received because of already discounted items being marked down even more with an extra 15% off coupon and free shipping. And even better than that was that is the fact that they were purchased while my body lay sick in bed last week refusing to move. No expending energy taking ornery anti-shopping boys and one "buy everything for me" girl to the mall, Marts or Ko's in search of the right fashion to kick off the 2010-11 school year. Just point, click, check out, and wait for delivery.

I love the whole online shopping experience. It's like a little gift I give myself.

12 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Glad you were able to get a little gift for everybody. I love how you said "a gift within a gift." I hope Ashton love the new threads.

K said...

I know it. I KNOW IT!! That FEELING. Oh-oh the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin' down the street -oh please, let it be for me.

PMC said...

my goodness you captured that FEELING didn't you?? nice job natalie. now. i really must do some online shopping soon!! ;) love it. and i love how much we enjoy getting stuff for our kids! what a feeling.

Corine Moore said...

This post sent me giggling a little.

First off, there was the anticipation that you created in your writing... I just couldn't wait to see what had come! :O

Second, my giggles grew when I discovered that the "gift within a gift" was... (roll the drums please)... CLOTHES. :o

Clothes????
You've GOT to be kidding me????
LOL! LOL! LOL!

Maybe it is simply because I have never mail ordered CLOTHES before, so I just don't know what I'm missing. :) Or maybe it's because the type of thing I DO order is an occasional scented candle in some beautiful votive or frame. I suppose that is what would have sent me anticipating with delight. :)

I've got to hand it to you though, Natalie... that was entertaining! ;D

Rachel said...

I. Love. Keith. Yes, I'm on a first name basis! That man brings me gifts all of the time and I just love it. Excitement. YES YES YES!!!

I haven't done that sort of shopping yet. Need to, but there have been so many other things I'd rather shop online for. :D

The need is rising to the top though of things that must be taken care of and soon!!

Remember the year our kids wore matching clothes because we'd both shopped the online Old Navy sale?

Brilliant post my dear!! I was there with you feeling the excitement.

Jeanne said...

I kind of knew what was coming, but loved reading your anticipation! Course, G-ma would rather see a picture of the clothes! Especially on my cute GRAND-kids! Maybe one from the 1st day of school when it happens???...

Chastina said...

You captured the feelings that I experience every time I order something. I love online shopping!

Serenity Now! (The Lillico's Unleashed) said...

You are such an eloquent writer Natalie! You should write a book, just about the mundane things that happen everyday...it would be a real page turner with your descriptive talent!!!

CPost said...

I love shopping online, makes it so much more convenient. Plus I hate dealing with the crowds.

Unknown said...

Isn't that a great feeling? AND THEY'RE NOT EVEN CLOTHES FOR YOU! I love it!

Alexandra said...

I still haven't tired of this feeling, either. I just received bookshelves, and felt the same way.

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

You have just inspired me! There's not a lot of...stores here. Some, but not a lot. I don't want my kids wearing what everybody is wearing simply for the fact that everybody shops at the same place. THUS, online shopping. Thank you, Natalie!