Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Late Night Education

Last night we had our annual sleep outside movie party. With having just finished packing away all the camping stuff away last week, we weren't too keen on dragging out the tent again, so we slept on the lawn under the stars. And it just so happens that with the Perseid Meteor Shower winding down, a tent ceiling would have just obstructed a most magnificent view. We also didn't actually watch a movie last night. Instead we read and told stories including the kids' favorite "The Vindow Viper". The only movies that played were the ones that our imaginations created for us in our minds- the very best kind, after all.

One of my favorite parts of the whole night included the sweet kisses bestowed all over my face by a brown eyed, feet-y jammie clad angel with her little arm thrown around my neck pulling me close . The other was when Dallin told us we had everything except a "pot to go to the bathroom in". We informed him, we did. It was 20 feet away in the house and it is called a toilet. I love that crazy nut of a kid.

As I lay awake at 2:30 in the morning gazing up into the star speckled night, I thought about how enjoyable movie party had been. There was no bickering about what movie to watch or who got to sit by dad on the couch. Everyone listened and laughed as others told stories and there was a tangible warmth as we laid on the cool grass together that was not created by the piles of blankets and quilts covering us. It was comfortable. It was enjoyable. It was memorable; just like being with family should be.

So last night I learned that maybe movie party each week might be a little more special with a little less movie all the time and a little more effort at really just being together. As these thoughts concluded my sleep deprived and extremely exhausted brain also gained knowledge of these 10 important or not so important things. I learned that...

1....apparently there was a train passing through with an engineer who must have been peeved he wasn't asleep at 2:30 in the morning like the majority of Provo. Because I'll tell you, he did his darnedest laying on that horn of his to wake up not only Provo, but the state of Utah.

2....Dallin talks in his sleep after he exclaimed, "Mom, guess what?" followed by a sentence of nothing but absolute nonsense.

3....the high pitched whine emanating from something electrical in our neighborhood had begun to alternate. This was more mind numbing annoying than its previous constancy.

4....the smell of dew dampened ground renewed memories of sleeping out as a kid...and an almost overwhelming urge to go toilet papering.

5....train #1's engineer must have a twin who was at the helm of train #2.

6....you can hear the backup warning beeps from the construction trucks working on the freeway all the way in my backyard.

7....meteor showers are incredibly captivating. I only wish they didn't get really started so late at night (or should I say early in the morning).  If only I could have propped my eyelids open to continue to catch all of those little lights streaking across the sky while I slept...

8....there was no way in that place low below that I was going to feel like running 6 miles at 7:00.

9.....in all of my 33 years and birthing of 4 children I still have not accumulated enough "batting" to combat the hardness of sleeping on the ground.

10....a Saturday nap was already sounding like an excellent idea.

11 comments:

Chastina said...

That sounds like fun! It always amazes me how many sounds occupy the night. I don't have enough "batting" either. That is why I invested in a foam pad and air mattresses.

K said...

We did that once or twice. The first time, I remember watching moon-lit galleons of clouds moving slowly, ponderously overhead against the stars. And feeling what a different night outside was from night inside. The second time, a nesting night bird dive bombed us all night. We haven't done it since we' ve trapped some raccoons and a skunk on the back lawn . . .

Huffstuff said...

I love the fun family traditions you guys have. Something that we are in need of.

Corine Moore said...

PS *Beautiful portrayal of a peaceful family night. That sounds WONDERFUL! Here's to wishing you many more. ;)

Teachinfourth said...

Traditions are meant to be enjoyed…this, my friend, sounds like a great one!

Rachel said...

You are such a woman! I told you. The SM sleeps outside with The Native's when they do this and I sleep all nice and cosey like on the couch. Someone has to be there for the kids when they need to come in and go potty!!!! :D

The SM took the kids out to the pasture to watch the meteor shower. I'd wanted to go but was in bed that day. We should have adopted your idea and slept under the stars! I just 'might' have agreed to sleep out that night. ;)

Fun tradition Natalie. I do believe this is one I need to do better at. Sniffle. Give up my couch! The sacrifices we mothers make...... cuz I hear ya loud and clear on the amount of padding that is never enough!! And the train whistle that goes on all night....

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Seriously sounds like so much fun! One day, I will take all the good ideas from my friends and start applying them. Some day, right?

A GAL NEEDS... said...

Love the picture, with the gals on one side and the guys on the other. I'm sure not intentional at all!

Ty n Casey's Mom said...

How fun! You're a better mom than I. I wanted to do a sleepout on the trampoline, then remembered how comfy my own bed is and thought better of it!

Rob and Marseille said...

what a fun idea!

Richard & Natalie said...

Chastina, I don't think there is even enough batting on a Sumo wrestler to combat the hard ground.

K, When I was a kid we had bats that would dive bomb us. Scared the soup out of me until we made a game out of it.
If I had your yard I would be afraid of what might crawl out of the river to naw on me.

Sheece, Next year we'll do it when you come and visit.

Corine, It really was fantastic. Thanks for the well wishes.

TF, They are and we will. The tradition would be even more awesome if only I could produce sparkles when I tell bedtime stories.

Rachel, Two words- air mattress. Richard and I both agreed we aren't doing this again with out them.

Lyndee, Repeat after me, "I can do it...with an air mattress."

Helena, Well you know, that BOYS do have cooties!

Karen, I love my bed too. A lot! But I figure I can sacrifice once a year and next time I will have ear plugs and an air mattress.

Marseille, We have one of those every now and then.