Friday, September 17, 2010

Constructively Nonconstructive


First day of school 2010
A week or so before school started, Ashton came to me with that look on his face and the famous summer phrase on his lips- "I'm bored."

I instantly responded with, "I've got plenty of things you can do." while the list of jobs that needed to be done scrolled through my head.

He quickly retaliated through gritted teeth with "I don't want to work, Mom." 

Since he had already completed his chores for the day I couldn't argue with him, so I listed a number of other things he could do. He wanted nothing to do with any of them and said, "I don't really feel like doing anything constructive." as he sulked out of the room. Figuring he would eventually find something to occupy his time I headed off to Cub Scouts.

When I came home he was busily at work surrounded by cardboard and armed with my glue gun. When he emerged he had created this masterpiece- a tech deck skate park.

I never have really understood what was so great about those mini skateboards they move with their fingers until I took the boys and some of their friends to the real skate park down the street.

Steep cement walls leading down into a cement pit with kids of all sizes zooming back and forth is not particularly my idea of fun. It's more like a nightmare ER visit with a head injury or gaping head wound waiting to happen. Needless to say, by the time we left I had 10 new gray hairs and a new found appreciation for the simplicity and safety of tech decks. Because really....what's the worse that can happen with a tech deck? Maybe a hangnail or at the worse, a sprained finger? Those injuries I can handle.

Also, if you have you ever priced the pieces that go into a tech deck park you know that they are certainly not cheap. I figure Ashton's nonconstructive ingenuity that boring summer day saved about $35-$45.

Maybe I should let him be nonconstructive more often.

7 comments:

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Oooh! Todd showed me a set online that he wanted for Christmas. I like your guy's version so much better!

Rachel said...

Genius!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great project to me…you're not out in the hot sun for hours on end either.

K said...

Wow. I'm really impressed with him. I have no idea what a tech deck is (yeah - I'm finished, I'm finished, I don't need toys, I'm finished), but I'm looking at the designs and construction and I'm thinking the kid has an amazing gift for imagining in 3D. Mechanical engineering - something you can actually make money doing. And with that gift, he'll love every minute. That was NOT a simple thing to put together.

Chastina said...

What a great "nonconstructive" activity to keep him occupied.

Rob and Marseille said...

does he want to make on e for christopher for his christmas present? (and you wouldn't get as many gray hairs if all the kids were wearing helmets and wrist guards) rob and I often argue...er...debate of the importance of those safety features.

Unknown said...

I love this. Love that you gave him some options, and then allowed him to be BORED. Boredom creates so many opportunities, as Ashton so remarkably demonstrated. It permits creativity to emerge, and blossom. Great job, Mom!