Friday, September 3, 2010

What I Learned in Kindergarten...

On Tuesday, Ben started Kindergarten and I guess technically, I did too.You see, Ben was really excited to finally be able to call Amelia Earhart his school, just like his brothers do. He has been waiting for and was completely ready to finally start Kindergarten. I didn't even get emotional dropping him off on his first day because I was so happy that he was finally getting what he wanted. Well, that and the fact that I stayed the entire time.

Walking to school with the brothers.

Why did I stay the entire time when I had a boy who didn't make a fuss or cry at the prospect of me leaving? Why didn't I leave when I could have enjoyed 3 hours tackling my list of "Things to do once the kids are in school"? The reason is because as a friend and I were getting ready to leave, we noticed 28 little bodies filled to the brim with anxious excited energy that the first day of school, let alone the first day of kindergarten brings. We also noticed the teacher doing her best to field parent's questions while trying calm the separation anxiety of a few of them too, while attempting to contain all of that anxious excited energy into a civilized classroom of learning- by herself.


Needless, to say this is a daunting task for even the Superhero-est of seasoned educators like Mrs. Thibault.

Superhero Mrs. Thibault

Luckily, Richard was home and willing to watch Emma, so I was able help along with my friend, Rachel. I would describe the rest of the day as organized chaos. It took all 3 of us and a Foster Grandparent who came to help to wrangle those 28 little bodies through all the activities of the morning. It was thoroughly exhausting. But I can't wait to help out again.

And you might think that Kindergarten is too elementary for an adult, but experiencing it for a second time around, there was still plenty of education to be had. These are a few of the things I learned;

- A party where the majority of the presents are Kleenex, glue sticks, and Ziploc bags is oddly still  really exciting.
- Actually getting the cupcake with pink frosting dams a flood of tears and makes a lot of things right with the world again to a 5 yr old girl.
- Even though a story was told about pigs, snails, fish, and cats going to school, acting like a chipmunk while you are in school is not acceptable. (This one's for you, Rachel :)
- When you're a Kindergartner you can wear 2 completely different shoes to school and it's apparently okay.
- Those shoes can even be 2 different sizes.
- Kindergarten teachers should go straight to heaven for all of the shoelaces they have to tie in the space of 3 hours.
- Bible names were really popular for baby boys in 2004 & 2005.
- Even though you may have a named your son a conservative Bible name, it does not guarantee that he will have Christ-like behavior.
- Riding the bus is kind of a really big deal when you are 5.
- The phrase "pockets, pretzels, basket" has nothing to do with food. Bummer.
- You have snack time a half an hour before you go home and your mom attempts to feed you something nutritious.
- I was not meant to be a Kindergarten teacher.
- I am really glad there are people who are- like Mrs. Thibault.
- No matter how old I or Ben will ever get, it is still the best when Daddy and Emma come to pick us up.

I think Ben's face and skip say it all- Kindergarten is awesome.

10 comments:

mistyc0x said...

oh that was fabulous!!! i just learned some stuff too! ;) very cool. very happy ben. WONDERFUL!!

Huffstuff said...

Love Ben! He is so awesome and I am so glad he loves Kindergarten. You are an awesome mom too, for staying and helping out. That's the things mom's do best, help where needed at any given time.

Gerb said...

Hubba was mad that his 'gifts' were markers, stickers and Hershey Kisses. He told me after school that I should have packed something more fun - like paper bowls. Whose kid is this?! I tried to make it as fun as possible and he wants paper bowls?

CPost said...

That was so nice of you to stay, those first days can be so crazy. HE did get one amazing teacher though. I hope we still leave here when my Ashton goes so he can have her also.

Tami Anderson said...

I love this! Yes, Mrs. Thibault is a super hero. Kindergarten teachers go straight to Heaven to prepare the way for the first grade teachers who have a bit of a struggle getting in!!!

(I have no idea what that means but, it was funny in my head!)

So glad Ben had a great day!

Chastina said...

What a great post! I agree that kindergarten teacher should go straight to heaven!!!

K said...

Exactly as good as you should be (referring to an old catty adage and twisting it to new, constructive shape). I would have expected nothing less from you and Rachel than to have stayed to make this thing work first day. I'd have come, too, if you'd called me. And that is what education should be about. Strange to me that so many schools refuse parents' participation - and some, ask Gin - ban parents from campus. Ummm. Really? Ban me from an experience my kid is having? Over my dead body.

Children benefit so much from adult participation in their lives. And teachers sometimes need GOOD and quiet and non-intrusive support. I'm proud of my girls.

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

You know, Natalie, I TOTALLY get excited about back to school supplies. I just want to buy tons of folders, notebooks, and pens. Looking at your pen/pencil holders, you'd see this was totally unnecessary. How did the 2nd day of school fill? Was the house quiet. Was Emma bored or completely thrilled?

Rachel said...

I am still laughing over that whole chipmunk thing.

That was quite the day wasn't it!! Made much funner by sharing it with you!

Unknown said...

Aww. Too cute! I love your list, Nat, especially the point about the Biblical names not necessarily prompting Christ-like behavior. ;)