Monday, January 24, 2011

Recitals

As I see it part of a mother's job is to worry. And I am so happy about this job requirement because it is one I have down pat. I am seriously perfect when it comes to worry. So last week when Dallin had his first piano recital and Ashton had his guitar recital I was just fulfilling my role as their mother by worrying about it.

Dallin is shy, easily frustrated, and quick to tear up if that frustration doesn't disappear quickly- all the ingredients for a recipe of disaster when it comes to recitals. Especially first recitals. I knew he knew his piece "Frosty the Snowman," because it is all we have heard for the last 2 months in varying tempos and octaves. But I worried would it come off in front of a room of people, who with the exception of 5 family members and 2 friends, were complete strangers?

Then there was Ashton.  He has taken to practicing in his room clear on the other side of the house from the kitchen and laundry room where I usually reside, so I can't hear him. I really had no idea how his piece was coming along except for 1 or 2 impromptu performances and no "Can you get him to practice more?" calls from his teacher. He said he was good, so what could I do but take his word for it.

And cross my fingers.

Here are their performances.



Turns out I really didn't need to worry that much after all.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

That was great!!!

I love that Ashton's guitar is blue.

Chastina said...

LOVE it! They both did a great job. I would think it would help having the teacher play a duet for the recital.

K said...

I, too, greatly admire the blue guitar. And his melody line was really clear and solid. Both of them did you proud, dearie!

Huffstuff said...

They sounded awesome. Great job boys.

Teachinfourth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Those kids did a great job, Nat! Thanks so much for the invite to the program; it was even better live.