Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Feeling Like a Kid Again

Growing up being the only girl with three older brothers wasn't easy, especially when they ended up with all the good teeth genes and I was left with this:

So after seeing a speech therapist for my tongue thrust and spending 3+ years of looking like this...

...I knew the uncomfortable, awkward, and not-so-cute world of braces. Especially since that world for me included head gear. Yes, the very unattractive, over the head, around the neck, looks like I'm a horse with a bit in my mouth, head gear.

But when it was all said and done it was worth it because I ended up with this:

A beautiful smile with straight teeth and no gaps.

Unfortunately, the orthodontists didn't know then what they know now about the length of wearing a retainer.(Or maybe they did and figured they would just get another paying customer in a few more years.) But I was told to wear it all the time for 6 months and then at night for a year. After that, I could be done.....until 20 years later when the gaps are reopening and the teeth have moved, making them out of alignment so that they wear wrong.
And I am back in braces at 34 years of age.

The top are clear this time.
 But they are still a lot bigger than what they showed me on the little model in the office.
I thought the bottoms were going to be clear too.
They aren't.
They push my lips out making me look like I've had bad lip injections.
I can't smile worth a darn which just attracts more attention.
My hubby hasn't kissed me since I got them.
But that might be because I've had a cold. 
 At least, that is what I'm telling myself.
 So I'm right back at that awkward, uncomfortable, and unattractive stage of life again.
And I get to pay for it this time.

Plus, my teeth hurt. 
And my cheek gets caught on one of the brackets in the back making my cheek sore.
This makes eating almost anything difficult.
Except mushy stuff.
Like old people eat.
So I feel like a gumming geriatric.

Except I whine like a 2 year old.
Sorry.

Aren't you glad it's only for a year?
I am.

I think I can go that long without smiling.
It'll be good for my wrinkles.

6 comments:

Chastina said...

Sorry to hear that you are having to go through that again! I'm sure he hasn't kissed you because of the cold.

Huffstuff said...

Atleast you feel like a kid again. (looking on the positive side of this) I did not realize you were going to do this. I think its a great even though I did not think your teeth looked bad. good luck!

K said...

Honey - I did braces when I was 39, and it wasn't a simple revisiting. It was the real deal from the ground up - with METAL and WIRES. When they put them on, I felt like I'd been shut in a spiky box, and I was an inch from saying, "I'm a grown up; I don't have to do this." But they'd had to remove teeth, so I was stuck. You'll make it through. Clear braces are the bomb. And you'll be more confident for it - if not more beautiful (could you be more beautiful?).

Rachel said...

OH! When you said that one of the brackets was catching on the inside of your cheek I immedietly cringed and thought, maybe getting braces again really IS a bad idea. :D

We really could be evil twins. I know I need to get them again myself but ouuuucccch! You just brought it all back and I'd be whining right along with you!

You kiddie photos are so cute!! Man do I relate to that huge gap in the front. :D It took me 4 years to get mine straight... only to have them crooked again as an adult....

Gerb said...

Hey! You eat like a geriatric, I walk like one. (Seriously... I have a walker!) Sounds like we should hang out sometime. ;)

Rob and Marseille said...

they didn't send you home w/ wax???? put it on, it helps a ton!! I have a permenant retainer on my bottom teeth...I sort of wish I had one for the top. I stopped wearing it when I got married...almost 7 yrs ago.
and rob? He's never had braces and his teeth looked only mildly crooked until he got elbowed in the face while playing basketball. you have my permission to check his teeth out next time you see him. haha.