Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Why Do We Spend The Money?

As a parent it is natural to want to provide well for your child. You want to provide them with comfortable basics and some of the frivolous wants you weren't fortunate to have as a child. You work hard to give them what they need and worry that you aren't providing enough or the right things. But then you experience your first child's Christmas when they play more with the wrapping and box than the actual toy that came in it and you learn a valuable lesson and ask yourself, "Why do we spend the money?"

I found myself asking this very question last night as I went in to make a final check on the boys and found this...


Why spend money on a comfortable bed and mattress when a cheap cardboard box will do?

5 comments:

Chastina said...

How cute! He looks quite comfortable. It may have to do with not having to sleep there all the time, so it's more fun and exciting.

Rachel said...

You're asking ME?? The house where two huge cardboard boxes reside in two bedrooms at the moment housing two Natives??

Got me!

mistyc0x said...

LOL!

why you ask? don't open THAT can of worms. we could write a book on the subject. why indeed.

hard and fast rule: never never ask why when rearing children. it isn't safe. the answers may turn your brain inside out.

fabulous picture.

K said...

Okay - now my oldest is 31 and I can look back on all those years? Conclusion: we buy this stuff for ourselves. The kids don't care. If I could have back every cent I bought on toys and furniture and clothes that all charmed ME and that didn't make a hoot-n-hollar diff to the kids, I could retire. I'm not kidding about that. You're young enough, all you guys, to hear and not end up wasting that kind of money yourselves.

Anonymous said...

It'll be good practice for when he's living in a cardboard box someday...or in a van...down by the river...