Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Elvira and her Homie

Last week Richard and I were asked to help with a "Where's Waldo" type activity for the youth in our ward. We were excited to help out especially since it was Ashton's first mutual activity to attend and it gave us the chance to dress up like Halloween in January. Our job was to dress up incognito and stroll the corridors of the mall. The youth were told that there were members of their congregation at the mall and their job was to find them and answer the questions they had.
Easy right?
Not so much.
Especially when they look like this...

And this...
Elvira and her 'Homie' were totally out of character for both Richard and I, but I think that was what made it so fun for us. Maybe, not so much for Ashton since this was his first mutual activity at the mall, with his friends and his parents show up dressed like a couple of goons.

The best part for Richard and me was walking past Ashton twice and he didn't recognize us. Richard worried that he wasn't disguised enough, but apparently he was.


I also got a kick out of the looks both the leaders and youth got on their faces when they recognized me. It was priceless.
I have to thank my friend, Julie, for the use of her wig. And just so you know, I will not be going 'dark' anytime soon. (You can now breathe a sigh of relief.)
So the next time you go to the mall be sure to look closely around at those walking past you, they may not be the strangers you think they are..... they may be even stranger.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it were a great activity. Glad you both are the masters of disguises!

Chastina said...

How funny that Ashton didn't recognize you. I think you look cute dark. :)

I can't believe Ashton is in YM's now! The all grow up to fast.

Rachel said...

What cracks me up about this whole thing is the look on Ashton's face in the photos. Boy does it tell all. :D

K said...

Here is a mall story: Once upon a time, G and I went to the walk the mall (all we could afford in the way of a date, back in the day), and while we were in Mervyns', we looked up and saw Ron Harris on the escalator. He was with this woman with very dark, longish hair - and was pretty darn cozy with her. My stomach about hit the floor. Then the question: should we tell Pam what we'd seen? I was devastated. But the thing was: it WAS Pam - in a dark wig. FREAK OUT. We'll have to play next time.

A GAL NEEDS... said...

You can never satisfy your adolescents. If you look too hot, they're embarrassed. If you look nerdy, they're embarrassed. So, I say, just live your life and have fun! Ashton looks cute and is probably secretly loving every minute of it!