Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Valentine Secret Keeper

Pillow Pets; Emma was given one for her birthday and the boys all received one from Santa for Christmas.

And lo and behold, since my nickname is Ladybug, I received one in the form of a ladybug for my birthday. The kids were so excited that I had one just like they did and that everyone in our family had one....except Dad. I asked them which animal would be fitting for Dad and as soon as the words left my mouth I knew the answer- the Bee.

His nickname happens to be Buzz, hence a Bumble Bee pillow pet would be perfect. So the plan was set- for Valentine's Day I would get Richard a Bee Pillow Pet, so he could be like the rest of the family.
And yes, he would love it, because what else do you get a man for Valentines? ;)

Saturday afternoon Emma and I left to do some grocery shopping and pick up the planned Valentine gift. Her eyes lit up with excitement as we checked out and I reminded her that it was supposed to be a surprise and not to tell Daddy about it. She readily agreed....until dinner.

She sat right next to Richard during dinner and somewhere between our heart shaped pizza and bread sticks she looked down the table at me and blurted out, "Mom, remember to not tell Dad about his Pillow Pet!"

I was dumbfounded.

In a disappointed tone I complained, "Emma! It was supposed to be a surprise!"
She replied as cool as ever, "I was telling you, Mommy. Not him."
I guess you can't argue with the logic of a 3 year old.

Then on Sunday morning when we arrived in the church parking lot, she leaned up between the two front seats and told him, "Don't look back here, Daddy. You'll see your Pillow Pet." All the while she was pointing to the back seat where the gift had been stowed for "safe" keeping.
The best part of it all is that she was oblivious she had completely ruined the surprise. In her eyes, she was doing everything to protect it.

Finally, Valentine's Day arrived and she just could not wait to give Daddy his "surprise". So after his Cream of Wheat, toast, and OJ served in bed she handed over a bag covered with pink and red glittery hearts and said, "Here's your Pillow Pet, Daddy. It's a Bee!"
And as Richard pulled it out she exclaimed with arms open wide,
"SURPRISE!"


I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day and that your surprises were as filled with laughter as mine turned out to be.

7 comments:

Tami Anderson said...

That is so adorable! But, I'm NEVER telling that blabbermouth ANYTHING!! J/K



On another note: Thank you so much for the card and pop. It really made my day...and the hug topped everything off! You are so awesome.

Rachel said...

That is just precious. It didn't go as you'd planned but I think it turned out better....

Grief! I don't know what pillow pet I'd get The SM. Do they make pocket protector, duct taped together glasses, or calculator pillow pets? :D

I'll put some velcro on my bellow and tell him I'm his pillow pet. ;)

Rachel said...

LOL! BELLOW!!! That's about right. My belly IS a bellows!!!!

K said...

Murphy at that age managed to keep (almost totally) the secret that I was being kidnapped by the family to go to Disney land for my birthday. When we were all piled into the car, G turned to Murph and said, "Tell her where we're going!." But M got this very upset look on his face, pressed his lips together and wouldn't say a single word.

We forget how many concepts they just really don't understand when they're that little. But it makes for a great deal of laughter and wonderful family stories.

Rob and Marseille said...

when christopher was 3 he picked out a present for rob (I can't remember what it was) and told him about it but told him he wouldn't tell him the color. that is the surprise, he said.

Anonymous said...

Glad it was a good Single's Awareness Day for you and yours...

Ty n Casey's Mom said...

ADORABLE!! Casey was so excited to see that Ben has a penguin pillow pet just like he does.