Sunday, May 15, 2011

Serenade of Support

Sometime in January, our family sat down to set some goals for the year just like we always do. I didn't have to think very hard of what I wanted to work on and I only had two goals in mind. First, to do better with my personal scripture study and prayers (this is #1 every year *sigh*), and second, to run Ogden's Half Marathon beating my time from last year.

As hard as number one seems to be for me to perfect, getting ready for number two  has seemed like the most insurmountable of tasks this year. Thanks to schedules, weather, sickness, some right hip pain and a great big heaping dose of self doubt, training for Ogden has just seemed too big for me. But I've done it. I've put in my time.  But over the last few weeks, as I have completed my longer runs, I have come to an awful realization- I won't reach my goal of beating last year's time. It hasn't been enough. I just can't get my pace where it needs to be.

I know...I hear you, "Oh WAH!" And yes, I know that I am lucky to be able to at least run it even if I'm not as fast as I would like to be. But I think that the human spirit has this innate desire to improve, after all isn't that why we feel compelled to set goals and make resolutions in the first place? So not improving is somewhat of a blow to me. This doesn't mean I'm not going to try my darnedest and hope that the downhill nature of the course and the adrenaline rush that race day brings won't provide some sort of miracle, but I'm not counting on it.

I love to run and I love that I get to run this particular race with my brother and his wife, even though, they leave me eating their dust. I also love getting to the home stretch, physically and mentally exhausted, and hear someone yell my name followed by some sentiment of support. It is an incredibly amazing feeling and makes the finish line come that much faster. This brings me to blow #2-
This little band, my little band, of cheerleaders won't be there at the finish line to cheer me on this year. There are other things going on at home Saturday that are more important for them to attend, which means I will also lose my biggest cheerleader (he will hate that I'm calling him that). So I was wondering if you would do me a favor. Would YOU come cheer me on?








Ha! I almost had you there, didn't I? I mean, I wouldn't discourage you from coming, but it is in Ogden about an hour and a half away, it starts at 7:00 am which is really early for a Saturday morning, and I realize that all of that is a lot to ask. Plus, I'm sure most of you are involved with some of the things that are keeping my own personal cheerleaders from coming.

So can I ask you to do me another favor instead? Would you support me by choosing a song to put in my play list that I will run to? It can be whatever you want it to be- just leave the title and artist in the comments section. It can be that song that really inspires you, the one with the really great beat that helps you clean the house when you really don't want to, or just whatever you would run to if you were running a half marathon. You've never run a half marathon? Well here's your chance. For 3 to 5 minutes, or however long your song lasts, you will be my sole running buddy and supporter.

Please, don't worry; I like pretty much any music, unless it is twangy-wangy-tear-in-my-beer country. Last year, I had Frank Mills playing The Music Box Dancer in honor of my parents and AC/DC's Thunderstruck, for my three older brothers with a little bit of everything else sprinkled in between. Believe me you can't go wrong because I believe that most of the magic that music holds is in the memories and the people it is associated with.  So give me some awesome music to serenade me with support and let's go make us an incredible memory this weekend.

14 comments:

Rachel said...

Nat, If I didn't have three birthday parties to plan this weekend for three people in this house I'd be there!! Dang it!

Since I can't be: Rolling in the Deep by what's her face, and that song I really like by Foreigner.

Yup! Full of all sorts of help fer ya sista!

I'm pulling for you and can't wait to hear how it all goes!!!

Margaret said...

You can do it, girl!!! My song will be "My Life Would Suck Without You" - Kelly Clarkson.

Morgan said...

you are AMAZING :) SO of course my song is Nsync "Bye bye bye" - I hope it reminds you of the same fun week I spent in Cedar with you...... watching MTV and Dancing :)-You also should stop bye on your way home and see Avery :) she wants to meet her great aunt Natalie :)

CPost said...

You can do it, think of me while running maybe it will make my body get back in shape faster.. haha..

Here are a few of my songs
Who Says by Selena Gomez (I seriously love this song)
Rolling In The Deep by Adele
Say Hey (I Love You) feat Chernie Anderson by Michael Franti & Spearhead

this last one I love but you can only buy it as an album since it is from the Movie Happy Feet it is
The Song of the Heart by Prince

I can always even make you a Cd of songs we have the you can put that on Itunes that way you don't have to buy so many.. We have TONS of music..

Gerb said...

I wish I could come give you a shout out at the race's end. I wish it was local! But because it's not, here are the songs you need to have on your ipod:

Dynamite by Taio Cruz

The Middle by Jimmy Eat World

Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac

Living In Oblivion by Anything Box

Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars

If We Ever Meet Again by Chani

Viva La Vida by Coldplay

United State of Pop 2009 by DJ Earworm

Halo & Walking on Sunshine (mash-up by the Glee Cast)

Loser Like Me by the cast of Glee

Okay, I'll stop. But there are about a hundred more good ones...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

My two all time favorite's are:
1."Russian Easter Spring Festival", by Rimsky Korsakov
(You can you tube the music and if you move the play button into four minutes you will hear the most amazing, uplifting music I think ever written.)
2. "Through Heaven's Eyes", written by Stephen Schwartz. Sung best by Brian Stokes Mitchell with with the Tab Choir.
mc

Anonymous said...

Sorry I thought of some more while I was out at recess.
When I go walking and my ipod start's playing drum music from Tarzan by Phil Collins I really want to pick up the speed.
Pirates Of The Caribbean music score has been used at more dance concerts then I can count, great music!
Sorry I can't get enough of Beethoven. My favorite's are Symphony #7 and second movement from his #9 symphony. It may be slow at times but it's so powerful.
Last but not least a total contrast is Mr. Mom by Lonestar.
I'm not a runner and hard rock would probably be the most appropriate since you gals are die hards.
mc

mistyc0x said...

okay. this is the coolest idea ever. i like it. i am stealing it. no. i won't do that! i will beg people to come to mine, i am THAT lame.

my song is weird, but i listen to it toward the end of any run (longer run) or if i am having a harder time...i just like the words.

listen to The Climb and think of me. u r awesome natalie.

run girl. run.

Parke Family said...

Good luck. Wish we could be there to cheer you on. Sorry your own cheerleaders won't be there. :(

Jim says the song you should listen to is the Chariots of Fire theme song. Perfect for running, I guess.

The song I am loving right now is Zac Brown Band - Knee Deep. And how about some Michael Jackson - the way you make me feel.

Now you are going to have too many songs and not enough time to listen to all of them!

Good luck! I'm sure you will do awesome!

K said...

I'm going to try. I really am.

K said...

How about "Every little Thing She Does is Magic" by the police?

Chastina said...

One of my favorites is "Numb" by U2. I also like Eiffel 65. I have a bunch more, but the ones I can think of for running have been picked.

Anonymous said...

How many did you want?

"You Get What You Give" The New Radicals
"Firework" Katy Perry
"Crystal Ball" Keane
"On Fire" Jerrytown
"4 Minutes" Glee Cast
"Rule" Nas
"Save Me" Remy Zero
"Safety Dance" Glee Cast
"Dynamite" Taio Cruz
"Take A Picture" Filter
"With A Spirit" 009 Sound System
"Separate Ways" Journey
"Wonderful" Gary Go
"Total Eclipse of the Heart" Nikki French

And these are just a few.

Rob and Marseille said...

All Star and I"m a Believer by Smashmouth
Life is a highway by Rascal Flats
Smile by Uncle Kracker