Saturday, July 23, 2011

How I Stack Up

Can I tell you that going camping generates a lot of laundry? And can I also tell you that so does being gone the week before at Girls Camp? Especially when you come home to find the one load of laundry that had been started still sitting in the washer...two days later?
Yeah....

We've been inundated with dirty laundry here at the Parke home.

More so than usual.

The other day I decided to hit it hard and plow through as much as I could. In between loads I was running children back and forth between various lessons, so the loads came out of the dryer into a giant mound just outside the laundry room door waiting to be folded and put away later.

After about 3 loads, the mound was starting to look like a small mountain and it got me thinking. So I asked Richard if he thought I could  get the mound to be as high as I am tall...a whopping  5 foot 3 1/2 inches, let's just round that up to a massive height of 5'4".

Richard laughed and told me the stack would topple before it would reach that height.

The challenge was issued.

I was up to the challenge.....

....or should I say that about 3 or 4 loads later the challenge was up to me?


It's the little accomplishments in life that make me happy.

 I know they will be a wrinkled mess, but I like to think of it more like my family will just be showing off the wrinkles of my success.

If they don't like the wrinkles of my success, they can learn to iron.

And, no. That is not the end of my laundry quandary. There is still plenty more where that came from.

Seriously, who needs a service project?


6 comments:

Tami Anderson said...

That is quite the laundry pile. I suppose that is why I don't go camping! Plus, they don't have room service!

Huffstuff said...

Laundry is an never ending story, until our children are gone. Then, maybe, we will wish we had something to do, like their laundry. But for now Laundry will be there everyday and we will endure!

I am amazed, I should stack mine up one time and see if I can make it as tall as me. (or taller) maybe kids would appreciate it more. doubtful!

K said...

AMEN to that last line. I think some people LOVE outside service because they can avoid the domestic slog and feel virtuous at the same time. I always have great ambitions about laundry - but they always fade when I forget to get the first load out of the washer -

short attention span.

Chastina said...

Wow! What a pile. Your hair looks great.

Rachel said...

I remember a neighbor coming over one day and saw all of my laundry on the kitchen table. She just sat there and stared at it aghast. She asked if this was normal. I have a huge kitchen table! The laundry was well over a foot high clear across the entire table. Yup! This is VERY normal. She about died. It is just she and her husband. :) Oh yes, laundry....... one part of motherhood I won't miss!!

Richard & Natalie said...

Tami, Seriously! I came home saying, "Okay, now I'm ready for my REAL vacation."

Sheece, I guess I should be grateful to have someone to do laundry for.

K, That is one reason why I love outside service! And please tell me, why cleaning someone elses home is more fun than your own?

Chastina, I love you! Have I ever told you I miss you living in back of me? If not to just visit with you, but for the wonderful compliments you give me!

Rach, My mom is the same way- always astouned at the amount of laundry we have. And yes, that is one thing that will definitely be good to 'forget' as we get older.