Sunday, November 15, 2009

Feedback

In August, during the training for my 10K I hit a wall.  I didn't know what was wrong with me. Normally, I wake up at the same time every day, whether I want to or not, and I don't have a difficult time getting the bed off my back. But I found myself sleeping in and pulling myself from under the covers terribly difficult. I was tired and felt like I dragged most of the day accomplishing very little.

My runs were even worse.  I was supposed to be building up my mileage to make it through the upcoming race, but found myself barely making it through 2 & 3 mile long runs. My legs acted like they had no clue what I was trying to make them do and my stamina had decided to take a vacation.

I was frustrated.

I decided the time had come for me to do something I had been putting off all summer. I went on e-Bay and ordered a Garmin running watch with GPS. I had been wanting one, but figured by running the trail with markers and using a stopwatch I could get away without spending the money and still time myself just fine.

I was wrong.

My new toy arrived and on my first run using it I couldn't believe how I ever got along without it. Running would never be the same. With just a glance at my wrist I could instantly see my pace,  know exactly just how much further I had to go to reach my desired distance, and see exactly how long I had been running. It made all the difference. Why?

Because it was feedback.

I knew exactly how my performance was. It helped me realize I was doing better than I thought I had been and it gave me that boost to make it through those hard weeks when all I wanted to do was quit.

A few weeks ago, I experienced a change that caused me to question my performance in a different aspect of my life. Change is not always bad; sometimes it is very good and sometimes it just is. This change was a mixture of the three.

I had been serving in our Primary Presidency for what would be 3 years in March.  I was privileged to have served with some wonderful women I greatly admired and had learned a great deal from.  We had a great time serving together and had become good friends as a result. Now we were being split up and sent in all different directions with new callings.

As well as being fun, those years had been trying too. We all endured pregnancy and had babies in that time which presented a little more juggling, stress, and chaos. We had husbands who frequently traveled for work or needed to be away for other reasons leaving complete responsibility of our homes and children on our shoulders along with the various other duties we had to fulfill. There were times I'm sure we wondered if it was really worth it, if we were making any difference to the children we taught and yes, there were days we just wanted to quit.

Needless to say, we started feeling a little burnt out.

Then the news came that soon we would all be released. The dam of emotion broke; sadness & relief worry & wonder. At first, I was more relieved than sad. Life was crazy; I was struggling and felt like a change was the prescribed remedy. But as the day got closer to our release the worry and wonder took over. 

A small part of me wondered; was it just a time thing that we were being released now? Why not wait until the first of the year or when our 3 years were up? A bigger part of me worried; was I being released because I had become so burnt out that my performance wasn't what the Lord needed it to be or was it simply  because a wise and omnipotent Father saw a child's need for a rest? 

The next Sunday in church I received part of my answer.  The new presidency invited us to join them and the Primary chidren for the last 10 minutes of closing exercises where they presented us with 'Thank You' cards signed by all the children. As I stood in the front of that Primary Room receiving my card  in front of all my little friends, I felt completely out of place and like I no longer belonged there. 

You would think this experience would make me sad, but it didn't. It was feedback.

I realized it was time. I had my turn and now it was time for someone else to share their testimonies with my friends and to grow from the experience of serving them. My stewardship no longer belonged there; it was time for me to progress elsewhere.

The rest of my answer came a few days later when one of those sweet Primary girls showed up on my doorstep with her mother holding a plate of cookies she and her Primary teacher had baked (3 different kinds- Wow!) and a homemade 'Thank You' card. The cookies were delicious (esp. for breakfast) and the individual gesture was greatly appreciated. In fact, it made all the difference to me.

It was that boost to help me through the tough days where I still struggle. 

It was feedback. 
 
It made me glad I hadn't quit and gave me hope that maybe my performance had been enough after all.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh Natalie! Being released from the primary pres. was one of the hardest changes for me and yet, I had the same feelings as you. It was time.....

You have done a wonderful job with those children. It is not an easy calling and I often wonder why in the heck mothers with young children are put in there with everything else we have to juggle but somehow the Lord provides that mantle and makes it possible.

Corine Moore said...

I too, love to get feedback! That extra little assurance that you are OK - pleasing the people you aim to please (esp Heavenly Father); doing enough and doing it well etc.

Sometimes we have to make do with self assurance (heaven forbid!); but I am very glad for you that you received the needed feedback and didn't have to rely on just self assurance. YEAH FOR FEEDBACK! :D

BTY - I hope to do a triathlon for the first time ever - this coming year. I have always been active, but after reading this, I can see the have a whole lot of learning and training ahead of me.

Jeanne said...

You were super! I heard/your phone calls all the activities & ideas and sharing times and Scout stuff you did, not to mention the regular meetings and the presidency meetings, etc. etc. Now you will be busier than ever, if you don't prioritize... Good luck, it is always a learning process.

Carrilyne said...

Amen sister!! And I know we are truly sisters at heart after going through the past couple years together!! You always seemed to have more energy, could make more time and more smiles than I ever did! In fact I constantly tell myself, Natalie can do it- I will too!!

Rob and Marseille said...

I'm glad we still get to work together, and you can teach me what to do

Chastina said...

What a great confirmation that you had done a great job and it is time to work on other things.

PMC said...

ahhhh, sorry, i missed this one! very good...we do need that feedback sometimes...and it is a sweet thing to experience! good for you! 3 years...that is a good amount of time...:) good job nat. primary pres. is a challenging calling. and you are wonderful!