Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving Thanks



As I sit here in my parents family room staring at the unfinished walls in the mismatched pajamas my good husband dressed me in yesterday because I was too weak to dress myself, I find it fitting to be sick here. I am laying on the couch where as a girl I watched "The Sound of Music" while I waited for the virus or infection that had taken up residence in my body to move on. Today it is the same, except today the movie is "Charade".

Cary Grant always has a way of making me feel better. But today Cary's magic doesn't work so well. After all, it is Thanksgiving, and I am sitting in a basement- alone.

It is okay really, when I don't think about what I'm missing; turkey, potatoes & gravy, yams, stuffing, and pie. Really the food has no appeal to me; my tender tummy warns me against it. It is the other things about this holiday that I miss today. 

It is gathering with a large group of family, much too large to fit in anyone's home, but we do so anyway. It is the 50 or so (I lost count a long time ago) grandkids & great-grandkids running around in between all the adult bodies perched anywhere they can comfortably or semi-comfortably fit. It's the plotting of the most efficient routes amid the scattered newspaper ads to aquire the best early morning deals on Black Friday. It is catching up with my sister-in-laws while the men catch glimpses of football through their tryptophan induced slumber.

It is the experience of Thanksgiving I miss. The experience of being together.

But luckily for me, I married into a family where they love to be together and do so every chance they can get. Most holidays, monthly Family Home Evenings, missionary comings and goings, weddings, baptisms, baby blessings, and in a family of 10 children there are a lot of those. So now I can happily look forward to the Christmas season and all the family gatherings that will ensue. I can look forward to the experience of being together again.

And hopefully, by tonight or tomorrow, I can look forward to a plate of leftovers.

Those are some things I can definitely be thankful for.

9 comments:

Gerb said...

Hope you're feeling well soon, Natalie! It's no fun to be amongst a great crowd while feeling icky. If you want, I'll make you a pumpkin pie when you're feeling better. =0)

Denae said...

Oh Natalie, how sad that you are sick! I hope that you get feeling better soon.

The Alleman Family said...

What a crappy day to be sick on! I hope you get feeling better soon!

Chastina said...

Sorry that you are sick! I hope Richard saves you a big plate of leftovers for you to enjoy.

Richard & Natalie said...

Gerb- You're sweet. That's okay I already had Thanksgiving once this year, so I'm good. Thanks though.
Denae- Thanks.
Heather- Literally...
Chastina- He bought me a plate of potatoes, turkey, and yams, so he had me covered.

Rob and Marseille said...

that's how I spent my thanksgiving last year. So this year we had two thanksgiving dinners to make up for it. I bet you're the only one that lost weight on thanksgiving.

Rachel said...

Natalie! Not cool! So not cool! I like Marseille's comment. Too funny.

Good thing you have an entire month to make up for the weight you lost over Thanksgiving!! :D

Guest said...

Sorry that you were feeling under the weather during the holidays...always not a fun thing.

Richard & Natalie said...

Marseille- I feel your pain- not fun. I found that to be the bright side of things except I think I made up for it yesterday when I had pie and icecream for breakfast. Oh well, 'tis the season.

Rachel- Don't worry I'll make up for it; my sweet tooth will make sure of that.

Guest- Thanks & you said it- it is not the ideal way to spend it.