Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Excuses, Excuses...

If you opened the dictionary to the phrase 'blog slacker' I can almost guarantee you will find a picture of me. My blog and almost everything surrounding it has taken a back burner since the kids went back to school. This is evidenced by my puny number of posts in August and September, my lack of commenting on other blogs (I promise, I am still reading them.), and the absence or extreme tardiness of replying to your comments here. I am sorry, really I am.

I was reminded in church on Sunday that the first step to repentance is to recognize that there is a problem, so.....Hi. My name is Natalie and I am a serious blog slacker.

There. Consider it recognized.

But just because I've recognized it doesn't mean I'm not going to try to justify it. So....I think it may have something to do with the fact that blogging takes me an excruciatingly long time to do. I can "hear" what I want to say in my head, but when it comes to making it travel to my fingertips, it makes a detour somewhere along the way and things never sound like I want them to. Trust me, they are much more witty, funny, and thought provoking in my head. It may also have something to do with adjusting back to a school schedule, Richard's travel schedule, homework, lessons, team sports, volunteer time, scouts, potty training, or that life has simply been crazy and my brain cells stretched too thin.

I know...excuses, excuses.

Because really let's face it....there is time to blog. I have the same number of hours in my day as I did back in June or July, I have just chosen, or in some cases, life has chosen for me, to spend those hours on other things. Whether I like it or not.

One particular excuse some friends recently introduced me to is couponing. Yes, I am now one of those annoying 'coupon people' who takes an extra minute at the end of checkout to scan coupons. Yep, one of those people that apparently a lot of cashiers hate, and someone who has been saving more money than I realized was possible from those little inserts in my paper and mail.

Here are just a few of my conquests from my some latest saving trips.
 Everything in this picture was FREE! including the smile on my cute little model's face.



 Toilet paper- $1.38- because who wants to spend a lot of money on something you soil with nastiness and flush down the toilet?

And the one I am most proud of...
2 bottles of laundry detergent (totaling 50 loads), 1 bottle of dish liquid, 8 bars of soap, 36 of those things in the pink boxes, and 6 bags of Halloween candy = $13.39 at Rite Aid.
BUT if you count the $8 I got back on this purchase from their Up+ rewards program my total was only $5.39. That is a lot of free or really cheap stuff and just by following this blog and by planning my shopping trips using this site.

And although it has taken me some time to get organized and figure out just exactly what I am doing, after one particular day of great savings I felt like I had saved enough that when I visited a friend's boutique party I could safely buy me one of these...
And since I think Richard gave it the universal male look of approval by rolling his eyes, I've decided that maybe some excuses are worth a little blog interruption.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Well. We have missed you... but we forgive you.... beings as a lot of us are in the same boat! :D

K said...

Okay, first of all - if you are spending the time with your kids instead, then you are doing the right thing. Blogging takes a HUGE amount of time. It takes me days to get the photos from camera to sharing-shape, and then there are the words. And I have the same problem - things that pop into my head and are terribly clever, but come out of the fingers missing that one syllable (or all the words) that made the thing work right. Nat - I read blogs to understand people better. But you owe nobody but your children and hubby your time. So no apologies. This thing can get a little addictive - and suddenly, you are a columnist, working for free and having to come up with clever content every day. That's NOT what this should be.

K said...

Oh - and the coupon thing? Why apologize for that - it's SUPER smart and super cool (as long as you don't end up with 20 of something you won't ever use). I did that for years, and now I'm out of debt - so no apologies there, either.

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I was SO good with the couponing thing for a bit while in Provo. Not that I'm in Casper, I've slacked. It is SO fun getting the free and highly discounted items. I LOVED Savvy Shoppers. I need to find if there's an equivalent (sp?) here in Casper, cause I miss those happy highs of getting something for super cheap.

Chastina said...

I've never thought of the rolling of the eyes as the male approval. Now I understand. :D

You are doing so much better than I am at couponing!