Saturday, October 16, 2010

Just Getting into the Spirit of Things

I love fall.

The crispness in the air...

The change of sunlight...

The array of delicious harvest foods...

The fallen leaves strewn about like a quilt pieced of crimson, amber, and ochre hued shapes.  Their decay permeating the air with the distinct scent of autumn.

It's heavenly.

And of course, there's Halloween. As much as I love fall, I really love Halloween. The decorating, the costumes, the candy...everything about it says that I was made for this holiday. If time, sheer energy, and the ever mighty dollar weren't an issue, I'm sure our house would take on the appearance of a spook alley attraction from a theme park for the month of October. You can bet it would be awesome.

This year, I think I was feeling like decorating just the house and yard was not enough. I could do more; like maybe I should make the decorating a little more personal this time around. So last week with the help of an old lamp with a broken light bulb I took the Halloween spirit onto my actual person with some Frankenstein like accessories- five of them to be exact. For an added touch of gruesome, a divet where a missing chunk of flesh should be was added just below.
I know that the inside of my arm is kind of an inconspicuous place for these accessories, so I promise that next year I will be more conscious of which body part I gouge with broken glass. I guess my aim was a little off that day. And although it doesn't look all that impressive with out the prescence of gushing blood I think that I have shown there are no legnths that I will not go to for a holiday that I love.


Oh, and if I get tired of the Frankenstein effect the nice medical staff at the Provo InstaCare provided me with this more girlie costume to trade off with.

Two-for-one costumes! Now that's what I'm talking about!

Heck, for $50 bucks I wouldn't have expected anything less.

6 comments:

Huffstuff said...

OUCH! I love this post!

Chastina said...

Owwww! I think you should take a less painful approach to Halloween. I love Halloween too. I'd have a house to rival yours if I had the energy, time, and money. :D

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I was seriously not expecting that picture. Shivers went all through me and I'm still not recovered. You are a true Halloweenian!

K said...

Yow. Yes. When I was trick-or-treating one night - in the cat costume my mom had MADE for me - I ran through a line of ornamental rose trees, and got caught under the eye, raked with a fat thorn. I was really proud of all that blood - till I got home. And it only cost you $50 bucks? W00-h00 (B00) - yeah, next year you can go $100 and get something really impressive - maybe crack you head open. That's ALWAYS good! (P.S. you looked so good today, I didn't even notice any bulges under the sleeve- )

Anonymous said...

And you still live to tell the tale! Rock on, Nat. I always knew that you were a trooper.

Rachel said...

Oh Natalie! How did I miss this?

Well, should you get borred of your purdy pink/purple vet wrap I have every color imaginable in that stuff. Yes, even orange and black....... I'd be willing to share!!!