Monday, January 18, 2010

Inspiration

I love being able to go to church. I love sitting in a class or meeting and being struck with inspiration; those little "a-ha" moments when I recognize some tid bit that I can use in my life to make it easier, overcome challenges, become a better person, or to just simply- make me happier. Yesterday, I had one of those moments.

If you have read my blog for awhile you may have noticed that this month it has been different. I'm not talking about the sparse content contributed so far, that happens more often than not, but I am talking about the look. There has been no cutesy background or clever header photo to fit the month of January; just plain, boring, blah. Which is about how I feel about January...blah.

January is hard. How can it not be after following all the hoopla of December? There is the post holiday letdown followed by the fatigue of lots of family togetherness, acting like a covert spy to accomplish gift requests, the decorating and worst of all, the undecorating. There is the scrutinizing of the current state of our lives with New Year resolutions, topped off with the realization of just how many facets of our lives we are falling short in and need to improve on. And in our family's case, heap on top of all that, the 3 different home reno projects we completed at our parent's homes, including one paint job turned nightmare by the discovery of black mold, which added an extra day and a half and new drywall to the schedule. Coupled with my need to complete 25 hours of dreaded, so therefore procrastinated, continuing education hours before the end of the year and you have how I feel... the complete and utter need to be and do nothing. In a word- blah.

Oh, and did I mention the weather? I am in the opinion that unless I am able to hit the slopes, the snow, cold, and grey skies aren't needed anymore and we should go directly from New Year's to spring. White Christmas? Mission accomplished. Now snow, snow, go away.

I'm sorry to be a downer, so this is where my inspiration comes in. At church yesterday, a friend of mine was dressed in this cute, cheerful, red, Hawaiian inspired dress, it was the complete opposite of blah and so it hit me... I need something cheerful and reminiscent of warmth and sun to make it through the rest of the month! So here you have it- my new blog background.

So even though I am partial to the beaches of the Pacific Northwest, I'm finding the looks of Hawaii or sunny So Cal. very enticing, not to mention inspirational.  But of course, their inspiration is not to be out done by Sunday School...

9 comments:

Gerb said...

Very chipper, Natalie! Just looking at your new background makes me feel a little sunshine in my heart.

Huffstuff said...

man you hit the nail on the head there! Love the new back ground. Hope it does help cheer you up. I will have to bring a bit of sun shine and happiness to you from Hawaii. (I could stick you in my golf bag and take you along haha)

Rachel said...

Wanna wear my yellow one? It is even brighter! :) You are awesome Natalie you truly are. Just seeing you Sunday brightened my day. It always does.

Fab. background!

Chastina said...

I love your new background! I'm glad I get to be friends with such a sunny person.

Richard & Natalie said...

Gerb, I'm glad I can add a little sunshine to your day.

Sheece, PLEEEEAAAASSSE, take me with you! If I thought I would fit, I might actually try to be a golf bag stow away. I hope you guys have a great time.

Rachel, If I thought I would actually fit in it, I just might! Then we could be evil twins hawaiian style! I'm so glad someone is happy to see me there- besides God, of course.

Chastina, I'm glad we are friends too. Some of my friends in Canada called me "Perky Parke", which I never knew if it was a compliment or a nice way of saying I was annoying. I trust you would let me know, right?

Carrilyne said...

Natalie I have never seen anything but happy and giving sunshine to others! I am glad you were able to get some of that sunshine back!!

Carrilyne said...

I meant to say...
I have never seen you anything other than happy and passing your sunshine to others!! I am so glad you were able to get some of those rays back!

Ty n Casey's Mom said...

I feel your pain about January. The only bright spot is my birthday! Hehe -- just kidding! I say we all go on a cruise next January to somewhere warm and sunny. Seriously!

Unknown said...

I feel ya! I've had those January blahs, too--only mine are sort of the Christmas and POST-reno let-down. It's the "what the heck do I do now" and "there's nothing interesting to blog about" blues.

You know, though, when I logged onto your blog, I was immediately uplifted by your cheery, summery background, so mission accomplished.