Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Difficulties with Decor

My living room has been giving me fits.

The curtains, which have been there since we moved in, are dated, really frou-frou, and a style more suitable for a couple living in a retirement community- not the young, hip, thirty-something couple that Richard and I happen to be. (Don't laugh, I can hear you.) Not to mention they are moss green- a color that is no longer in the room's color scheme.

And then there are the "man heads". You may know them as "busts", but I like to call them what they are- the replica of the head of a man. I might also mention there is no "bust" attached, which for our shirtless George Washington man head, is a good thing.

Now really, I like having historical figures as role models as much as my husband, but a room full of decapitated look-a-likes, feels museum-ish and a little creepy.

Okay, I have to admit there are only 2 man heads, but that is two extra pair of eyes I don't need watching my every move. Plus, I don't know about you, but I don't really want to be judged by George Washington and Joseph Smith. Sheesh, talk about pressure! Even if it is only a bronze version doing the judging.

So needless to say, I've been looking for a change that I can really appreciate and approve of and on Monday a big truck delivered some new items to our house and I thought I would ask for your honest opinion. So here it is......


How do you think the "warehouse" look is working out?

11 comments:

Chastina said...

Oh, I like. ;P

I hope you are able to fine the right decor for your front room!

Teachinfourth said...

In the right light, it works...

Rachel said...

I think George and Joseph would approve considering what is in those boxes. :D

I'm thinking beige.......yeah......beige......

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

That's a lot of boxes. You could fashion a coffee (or end table) with several boxes stacked together. I think a cardboard window treatment would be divine. And how easy it would be to design a shadow box from just one box. The possibilities are endless!

Rachel said...

Lyndee, Don't forget doilies. Doilies have the ability to take the common and give it that little added touch making the item elegant!

Hmmm, I wonder if I covered myself in doilies if that would work......

Huffstuff said...

Love it! I've been looking for a new look too :) You've inspired me!

A GAL NEEDS... said...

I also think it works nicely, the beige setting off the white walls. Although might I suggest some doilies or throws over the new furniture, as it would add a splash of color to the decor?

Corine Moore said...

Great decor! Who says you need to hide all that under the beds and such? The warehouse is looking fabulous! :D
I think GW and JS would aprove!. ;)

Unknown said...

HA! My living room is currently filled with around twenty mounted deer heads that my husband migrated from the basement when he started gutting it...After two months, I think I'd rather have boxes!!

Carrilyne said...

Love it!! The way you arranged the boxes really accentuate the space! :0)

Anonymous said...

so a those boxes look more like emergency preparedness items! I'd like to see what they look like decorating your home!
LaRae