Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Breakfasts of Champions


"You better eat your Wheaties!"
HA! Not at our house.


This morning as I roused Ben from a peaceful slumber, I asked the daily question...

“What do you want for breakfast?”

He sleepily asked, “What is there?”

Me- “Cereal…”

Ben- “What kind? Lucky Charms? (A boy after my own heart.)

Me- “No. Frosted Flakes, Trix, Cheerios, or Cocoa Puffs.

Ben- “No cereal.” (Grunted like a Neanderthal.)

So like a broken record I went through the other healthy (and not so healthy) options we had time for.

“Pop Tarts, granola bars, Nutrigrain bars, toast, waffles…”

Ben- “Do we have nuggets?”

Me- “You really want to eat nuggets for breakfast?!?” (I threw up a little in my mouth.)

He nodded and smiled his sweet toothless grin, so I went to make nuggets for breakfast.

As I opened the mega bag of Dino Nuggets their smell hit me and my gag reflex tempted the throw up again. I retrieved 4 objects of chicken-who-knows-what that had been ground up and mashed together to form cute little replicas of various dinosaurs… and I was nuking them in the microwave... for my child... for breakfast.

My mother would die, if she knew.

As I waited for them to finish heating I was musing about what weird kids I have, their food choices, and whether or not I should be reported to DCFS for actually letting them eat this stuff, when I briefly flashed back to a time when all I wanted were atypical breakfasts too.

In junior high my favorite thing for breakfast was whatever we had for dinner the night before. Shepherd’s pie, baked potatoes, spaghetti, ham & cheesy potatoes, and my favorite leftover- chicken parmesan, were my breakfasts of choice. Then there was the period when I had onions topped with butter and salt cooked in the microwave every day before I caught the bus.

And I wondered why I didn’t have any friends.

Breakfast foods held no allure for me (unless, it was bacon, which was a sin at our house), so if there were no leftovers, mozzarella sticks dipped in peanut butter had to suffice.

When the beep of the microwave brought me back from my visit with breakfasts past, I decided that maybe food weirdness is genetic and I am actually to blame. So I took a deep breath, swallowed back the throw up, and proudly served Dino Nuggets for breakfast... with a smile.

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Can I come to your house for breakfast? I LOVE those Dino nuggets. :D I really do! And they sound like a perfectly natural/normal breakfast to me. I mean, people have eggs all of the time for breakfast. You just served yours a little more mature. With toast even!

PMC said...

oh my...cheese sticks dipped in PEANUT BUTTER???? oh..GROSSSSSS! ha...

i can't remember weird breakfast choices..but i do know that i would go for weeks only eating the same thing no matter what when i was a kid...one time is was scrambled eggs for breakfast,lunch, and dinner. another time is was lettuce with fry sauce on it as dressing. (iceberg lettuce...ewwwww) (not to mention the fry sauce??? gag gag gag) and so on and so forth. my grandma's favorite: peanut butter and american cheese sandwich. nice. give your little man a high five for me...way to eat 'out of the box'!

Chastina said...

I hear of people eating leftovers all the time for breakfast. I prefer my leftovers for lunch.

At least the nuggets are not completely empty calories. There has to be some nutrition there. Right?

Teachinfourth said...

A peanut-butter, bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich...breakfast of the gods.

Enough said.

Unknown said...

Yall are all making me want to hurl. Misty, I'm with you. And Tchn4th, a PB BLT? Really? ICKICKICK!!!!! I'll stick to my Pops and Capn Crunch and banana nut bread and stuff like that. Oatmeal. ;)

Richard & Natalie said...

Rachel, You can have breakfast here anytime, but if you want dino nuggets I may ask you to nuke them yourself, the smell really bothers me. :D

Misty, I go through phases of eating the same thing all the time too. then I can't stand the site of it for 6 months.

Chastina, Nutrition? Questionable. Calories? Yes, and probably a bucket load of salt & fat too.

TF, Really? I thought it consisted of V8 & Naked juice? :D
A P-double B-LT actually sounds not too shabby to me.
Have you ever had a PB & marshmallow creme sandwhich? Talk about heavenly...

Lori, I hope you weren't eating lunch while reading this...or should I say I hope you didn't lose your lunch while rading this?
I'd stick with banana nut bread too. Yummy!

Ty n Casey's Mom said...

I may have to try the onion thing someday cause I'm crazy bout 'em. What did your mom have against bacon? That's funny!!

CPost said...

When I first got married I about died, Nathan loved to eat leftover for breakfast. If we didn't have any he had to have frozen dinners to warm up. Being pregnant smelling that at 5 am, lets just say he broke that habit fast, or for at least for a little while. He still eats certain leftovers for breakfast, but I make sure the kids don't see if. I don't want them to get in that habit, the smell of dinner that early still kills me.

Carrilyne said...

I love love love peanut butter and marshmallow cream sandwiches!! And I love leftovers for breakfast! While my kids love dino nuggets too- I sure can't eat them!

Corine Moore said...

I love dinner leftovers for breakfast. Yum! :) I also crave protein foods, and detest sugary foods... so I'm with your kid! (Though I would have preferred un-breaded chicken without all the "crud" added. :) Besides, cold cereal is WAY over rated. And your son got protein! ;)

Richard & Natalie said...

Karen, Oh yes, onions... who does not love onions?
Don't get me going on my parents food fetishes...Okay, I'm already started so here I go...
My father had cardiac problems, so we ate a low fat diet; which bacon is not. Sensible, right? It is, but whenever I was around bacon I became a ravenous wolf and could've eaten the whole pound myself. I'm just talking moderation here people! I mean honestly, a few slices of bacon once in a while was not going to kill us.
Sorry, you asked though. Don't even get me started on mashed potatoes...

Cassie, I knew I liked Nate...
Sounds like you've got him trained just like you want him. Good Nate, Good, Nate. Lol.

Carrilyne, I knew we supposed to be sisters, if I had time I would go buy some marshmallow creme and makes sandwhiches for girls night... Maybe next movie night.

Corine, My downfall is my sweet tooth, so sugary stuff always sounds good to me no matter what time it is. But I also love some protein; a good sunnyside-up egg with hashbrowns, a side of bacon & sausage with sourdough toast... Man this post is making hungry!