Thursday, January 7, 2010

Head Bangin' Birthday



(Ashton sang 'Happy Birthday' to me in sign language finished off with "clapping".)

Birthdays bring so many things. Not only do they bring another year to add to your timeline spent upon this earth, but hopefully, they add another year of wisdom from lessons learned and viewing the past year's challenges and blessings from different perspectives.

Yeah, I suppose that is mostly right.... But really it brings things like being remembered by friends and family, even obscure ones I haven't spoken to in years, who wish me birthday happiness through the power that is Facebook.

It also brings really long phone calls from Nebraska and Missouri and the chance to catch up with  two of my favorite girlfriends.

It brings fabulous gourmet cupcakes from the Sweet Tooth Fairy Bakery delivered my another two of my favorite girlfriends who insist that I eat them all by myself, no sharing with my hubby or children- those were mine and only mine. What great friends and cupcakes.


It brings lunch at Bajio with my hubby who so kindly shared his lunch with Ben, so I could enjoy my shrimp tacos by myself. I love that guy.

It brings the kindness of marvelous neighbors who watched my kids, so Richard and I were able to take in the new flick "Sherlock Holmes," which I loved and think you should all see if you haven't already.

It of course, brings presents...


Birthdays on occasion also bring unexpected surprises too...

Like chairs that had been put on the table so I could mop the floor, but fell off....


breaking into pieces, along with Mr. Ben


and his head, which could have probably used a stitch or two. But from previous experience with stitches and Ben, we decided to avoid them if at all possible.

And like Ashton, (who was not available for a photo op.) who ran down the upstairs hall like a freight train, knocking the playroom door into the wall, causing a decorative oil lamp sitting on a shelf  that was hanging on said wall to become unstable and fall- squarely on the top of his head. Luckily, there was no blood, but he did receive a nice goose egg and the determination that something is trying to kill him.

I guess the great blessing among the head banging is that we got away without any stitches on my birthday. But along with blessings, I guess there are still lessons to be learned and wisdom to be gained for me, so the guidance I'm taking from my birthday now past is:

#1- Do not mop the floor nor do any other house work for that matter on my birthday.
#2- Inform Richard we need to redecorate the playroom since the decor in there now (which I am a little tired of) seems to be conveniently hazardous to our children's health.

Such hard lessons to live by...

7 comments:

Gerb said...

Those STF cupcakes are some SERIOUS yummage! It looks like you had a great birthday, even without my wishing you one. (whew!) Still, let's rectify that now: Happy Birthday!!

Chastina said...

What a bash! :D

What a spoiled lady you are! Glad to hear your birthday, overall, was great.

Huffstuff said...

glad to hear that you had a great day. Sorry about all the "head banging" And Sherlock Holmes was a awesome show.

Teachinfourth said...

Wow, sounds like you were queen for a day...and nurse for the aftermath.

Rachel said...

Good thing you have that degree in nursing! Looks like you had a fab day. Sorry I wasn't available to do something positively evil with you. :) Another day!

Richard & Natalie said...

Gerb- It was a great day, now made even more so with your wishes!
STF cupcakes (esp. the Va'nie'lla & the chocolate raspberry) are my new favs. Serious Yummage is right!

Chastina- Because my b-day is right after the holidays it usually...well, honestly it sucks. Sorry, for the language. Not this year though; it was one of the best ever.
I hope K's was too. I'm priviledged to share my day with such a cute kid!

Sheece- Thanks for the card and sipper money. A diet Dr. P or Dew will be thoroughly enjoyed with it.

TF- How nice of you to stop by...;)

I just wish all the nursing I do around here would count as Continuing Ed...

Rachel- I knew that degree would come in handy whether I actually worked or not. It was a fab day. And there's always time for evil deeds to be done with you, whether it is my b-day or not.

Unknown said...

Hey--Happy Birthday! And can we just say that for guys, they did pretty darn good, accidents and all? :)