Tuesday, February 2, 2010

100 Favorite Things

My first grader brought home his homework folder this week and instead of finding the usual worksheets inside, there was one single page.

My brain thought, "WOO HOO! Less homework this week!"

Then I read the attached newsletter...

Tuesday is the 100th day of school...see how many projects you can do in the week of your 100th day of school.

I inspected the page closer to see what I was going to be dealing with, and there among all the ideas and suggestions, I read this:

Make a list of your favorite 100 things.

My tired brain said, "Yeah right! That's freaking impossible!"

I like challenges.

I thought that sounded like a challenge. Didn't you?

I did.

So I responded back, "Did you just issue me a challenge, you old dusty brain of mine? Well, I accept your challenge."

So I gave myself an assignment and made this old brain of mine work and come up with 100 things that I like.

That'll show her.

Now where's the Advil?

1. Reading blogs.

2. Blogging

3. My family

4. A clean house.

5. Reading

6. Chocolate

7. Steak

8. Broiled shrimp

9. Going to the movie.

10. The USA.

11. Daffodils

12. Fall

13. Ice cream

14. Peanut butter

15. Oreos

16. Date night

17. Drawing house plans

18. Swiss cheese

19. Kamloops

20. Girls night out

21. Facebook

22. Going to the Temple

23. Music

24. The Library

25. The beach & ocean

26. Being up before anyone else

27. Going new places

28. Compliments

29. Green

30. Purple

31. Giraffes

32. Being in the mountains

33. Being alone

34. Cool summer nights

35. People who make me laugh

36. Watching the stars

37. Hiking

38. Camping

39. Helping

40. Doing a good job.

41. The way Emma says, "Uh huh, mom."

42. A clean shaven man

43. Dancing

44. Getting my hair cut.

45. Catching up with old friends

46. Road trips

47. Butterfingers

48. Canada

49. Spinach Salads from Ric's Grill

50. Sweatshirts/sweaters

51. Jeans

52. Fields

53. Running

54. The smell of rain

55. Playing night games

56. Thunderstorms

57. Hot cocoa with whipped cream (esp. Irish Cream)

58. Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup

59. Jane Austen (esp. Persuasion)

60. Romantic comedies

61. Diet Dr. Pepper & Mtn Dew

62. Gummie Peaches

63. Raspberries

64. Ben's hugs

65. Ashton's smile

66. That Dallin still snuggles with me.

67. Riding horses

68. New York

69. Richard's perseverance, patience, & passion.

70. Laughing

71. Playing board games

72. Being inspired

73. Seeing the light bulb go on when my kids learn new things

74. Giving

75. The Pacific Northwest

76. Skeet shooting

77. Fishing

78. Skiing

79. Musicals

80. Soundtracks

81. Halloween

82. The Sea to Sky Highway

83. To fly

84. Traditions

85. The gospel

86. Freshly washed sheets

87. Sunday naps

88. Feeling like I accomplished something

89. Sunsets

90. A full moon

91. The smell of freshly cut wood.

92. Bubble baths

93. Going out to eat.

94. Doc Martens

95. Doughnuts

96. Having everything in its place.

97. My mom's homemade bread

98. Singing

99. Lightning

100. Making others happy

Did you learn something new about me? Really? What?

I hope we are still friends anyway.

Could you do it?


Yes, I just issued you a challenge.

So dust off your brain and get to work.

16 comments:

Jeanne said...

YOUR 100 includes so many of MINE! Thanks for jogging my memory! On mine would be "Memories." Guess that comes with aging... of a little baby girl getting peanut-butter and jelly kisses from her 3 older brothers; and her later wanting to know how to spell 'order' so she could hang a sign around her neck: "out of order!" Then her brothers had to get their own drinks, snacks, toys, whatever! instead of HER/Natalie having to do it!AND,many other "Memories!" LOVE YOU!

Gerb said...

Kamloops?

Man, I knew I shouldn't have read the end. Is a challenge anything like a dare? Now I'm going to HAVE TO do it.

Carrilyne said...

I love it I cant believe you could think of so many!
I will take you challenge! I love a lot of yours too!

Richard & Natalie said...

Mom, Once I got going I realized there are a lot of things that I really love that I could include on this list; memories would definitely be one of them.

Gerb, Kamloops is where we lived in Canada before we moved here. I loved it there.

You don't have to do it...I just thought it might be fun to get to know a little bit moere about people and what makes them tick.

Carrilyne, It gets easier once you get started and if you are like me, I honestly could have filled half of them with food items! I can't wait to read it!

CPost said...

OOh if I do it I could probably do all 100 in just food. Or just the food I am not eating at the moment... mmmm... Ice cream, and chocolate, brownies.. k I will stop there..

Chastina said...

Wow! I like your list. I was thinking about 1/3 of the way through that you were going to issue the challenge to us. I'll see what I can do in regards to the challenge. :)

Teachinfourth said...

I'm up for the challenge...

Of course, you stole some of my thunder in a few of your items.

Corine Moore said...

First I laughed! Then you issued the challenge; you should have seen the way my mouth turned down suddenly with the thought of "one more thing to do!' But then I smiled again at the thought of thinking of 100 of my favorite things. Of course I'll do it! :)

Thanks for the challenge, and the inspiration! ;)

Corine Moore said...

PS. I learned... (among other things) that you are probably building a house. True?

I also learned that we have A LOT in common, right down to our favorite colors! However, I am beginning to really love blue, as well, and have a hard time determining my favorite color(s), because I love them all! I'm really a rainbow kind of gal, really! :)

OK. I'm done rambling! ...fun getting to know you!

Richard & Natalie said...

Cassie, I know! I realized I like food a litte too much after doing this.

Chastina, YOU CAN DO IT! & don't forget your favorite backyard neighbor. ;)

TF, I'm telling you, you can still use girls night and Jane Austen...

Really. I'm all about sharing. :D


Corine, I'm in good company if we share some favorites. I'm excited to read yours.
No, we aren't building a house. Drawing house plans is just a little hobby of mine. If I wasn't really bad at math I probably would have been an architect.

Tami Anderson said...

You do know that you don't have to do them all, right? I love your list and am glad that you took up the challenge.

Unknown said...

Oh, Natalie. I think I wish I lived near you. So many of your faves are my faves. I love grilled cheese and tomato soup. (btw, if you like good homemade tomato soup, I have a very easy recipe on my blog...)

What are kamloops?

I'm gonna do this. Tonight? Eh. Maybe. Maybe not. But I'm considering myself challenged. ;)

Richard & Natalie said...

Tami or Mrs. A, Yes I did know, which now you know, since now Dallin turned in his homework. I'm just redundant. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for providing the inspiration.

Lori, I wish we lived nearer too. I have the feeling we could be great friends & could have some wild, chatty GNOs.
I will definitely try the homemade tomato soup; along with some of your other yummy sounding recipes!

Tami Anderson said...

So, Natalie, I wrote my 100 on my blog. Thanks for the recycled idea.

:)

Rubie said...

See I knew this was going to happen, I read Gerb's post and I just had to see what you wrote and I knew you were going to challenge me, now....I must dive in and think! Thanks for the challenge I needed it!

Oh I am your newest follower!

Richard & Natalie said...

Rubie, Welcome! I love followers and I will try not to lead you astray.
I promise, you will enjoy making your list and it gets easier as you get going. I'm excited to read yours. I have enjoyed reading the lists of those who took the challenge and seeing what else I have in common with many of my blog friends.