Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Secret to GREAT Play Dough

Lately it seems like the blogging community has been doing "instructional" posts on how to make fabulous foods, so I thought... I like to follow the cool kids...I can be a follower... I don't want to be left out!

The only problem is that I don't make anything that I feel like is spectacular enough to demonstrate.

But yesterday, we made homemade play dough. Why homemade? Because like most things homemade, it is just simply better.

And you can make a ton of it.

And you can make it any color your little heart desires.

And it is a great way of teaching pre-schoolers about mixing primary colors to make secondary colors.

And you get to squish it between your fingers while making the top secret sound that makes great play dough...great!

The "chant".

I figure you can get a recipe for homemade play dough anywhere, but the "chant"... well...it has to be done just right for the colors to mix properly. Luckily for you, Ben happened to be performing the "chant" just right, so I grabbed the camera to document it and share our secret(& because I'm his mom and thought it was cute).

See... he even confirms it...When you do the chant it shows the color more and when you don't chant, it doesn't.

I told you I can't make anything food wise that is spectacular, so please, don't eat any. I think it would give you a terrible tummy ache and I don't want to be responsible for that.

Happy chanting.

The above link is to my friends awesome earth friendly blog and her recipe for Natural Play Dough, it doesn't include alum, which no one seems to have in their cupboards anyway.

But if you are interested, here is mine: Grandma Jeanne's Play dough

2 1/2 cups flour

2 cups boiling water

1/2 cup salt

3 TBSP oil

1 TBSP alum (you find it in the spice isle)

Food Coloring & the "chant".

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add the oil to the water and gradually add it into the dry mixture while mixing. You can add the food coloring while mixing or wait until the dough has cooled and knead it in by hand. Store in airtight baggies in the fridge. Enjoy creating!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

LOL! It do! I will remember the "chant" next time I make playdoh and when I need alum...I'll call you!

Chastina said...

That looks fun. Maybe I'll get ambitious and make some playdough.

Teachinfourth said...

I knew I'd always forgotten that one vital ingredient...with food (according to Gerb) it's the singing; with 'dough' it's the chant.

Got it.

Richard & Natalie said...

Rachel, I'm stocked up! I went to Reams that is closing and got a few jars, so borrow away.

Chastina, It is fun and you don't need ambition to do it; if that were a requirement, I'd buy it.

TF, What if I'm making food dough (like, rolls etc.)? Do you think I will have to sing the chant to make it turn out right? :)

Unknown said...

Yay! That's my recipe. So glad you like it.
Enjoy.
xo,
Jen

Unknown said...

Awwww...HE IS SO CUTE!!!!! Rar, rar, rar....Moms are so smart.

Good job jumping on that bandwagon. I'm telling you, we could have a cool new instructional blog, you know?