Saturday, February 27, 2010

Needs

After spending too long at our weekly girls night on Thursday, I came home and darkened the lights, locked the doors, put the cat away, and lay across the foot of my bed exhausted past the point of easy sleep. I inserted my ear buds to drown out the sound of Nick Jr.’s “Oobie,” which would occupy Emma’s attention until she drifted off to dreamland, and dialed up my most recent download on my iPod.

I just caught a snippet of this song on the radio that morning while dropping the boys off at school and it stirred something in me. So I went home and downloaded it, but I hadn’t had the time to really listen to it until I lay down to sleep that night.


As the lyrics swirled around in my head, I thought about;

My 11 year old who couldn’t go to bed until I was safely home. Making it a much later bedtime than a school night should be,


My sweet boy who went to bed with his newly lost tooth stuffed under his pillow counting on the Tooth Fairy to compensate him generously,


The boy, that earlier in the day, I was ready to sell while shopping at Wal-Mart, but who as night falls can’t sleep unless it’s in mom’s bed,



And my baby girl, who lately has a case of the "Me do it myself"-itis, still wants mom’s hand to hold as her eyelids grow heavy, finally, giving those beautiful brown eyes a much needed rest.

But as the song ended, I realized that even though I always tend to think it is me that they need, maybe it is really the other way around.

14 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Wonderful post, Natalie.

No words...

Richard & Natalie said...

TF, I hope the song worked for you. I realized I put a link instead of embedding it- after I published. So I was messing around with it while you were commenting.

Thanks for the compliment.

Rachel said...

My dad's mother lived in town. When ever we'd go into town we'd stop and visit grandma. As we'd drive by her house we could always see her sitting in her chair by the window. We'd sit and chat for a few minutes, I'd try to wear as shocking an outfit as I could find just to hear her comment (You should see the photos we have of her and her 'outfits' back in the day......) and when it was time to go, she'd stand at the door and wave. We'd drive real slow around her house so she'd have time to get to the back of the house and continue to wave.

I think of my grandma all alone in that house and it scares me. I know my kids need to grow up and leave.....but I totally know that it is I that needs them. Which is probably why I fight so hard to stay with them right now. I'm selfish. :D I need them.

Tami Anderson said...

I love that little toothless boy. Thanks for sharing him with me this year.

A GAL NEEDS... said...

Dang, girl, can you please not post these posts? My eyes get so darn watery! (JK, you go right ahead, my eyes will get over it!)

The Nixons said...

Great post!

Gerb said...

Wow, Natalie. This really struck a chord in me. But it's all mushy mom stuff that I'm not going to elaborate on here. Stuff I've been thinking a lot about lately. Stuff along the lines of what Rachel said and what you talked about in this post.

I was touched. Thank you.

PMC said...

i really enjoyed that song and the post, thank you natalie. i will go download that song now. i need to kiss my kids now....

CPost said...

I love that song too, I also love her song The Climb.. That was a beautiful post..

Chastina said...

Beautiful song and post!

As much as I'm ready for my kids to get older, I'm not. I want them to stop so I can enjoy them at the age they are at a little longer. Especially after looking back and realizing how quickly they are growing.

Richard & Natalie said...

Rachel, I could write a post on Fears and that would be high on the list.

You keep fighting to stay with them (& us)! Because no matter what age you are, you always need your mom.

Tami, Then we have something in common! It has been our pleasure to share him with you.

Helena, I'm sorry! Another good make-up job bites the dust, eh?

Julie, Thank you, Jewelsthang!

Gerb, I love mushy mom stuff! Sometimes I feel like that's all my blog is and then one day it will turn into mushy grandma stuff.

Misty, Kiss that baby's chubby cheeks an extra one for me.

Cassie, I like "The Climb" too; infact, it is on my running playlist. Very motivational!

Chastina, I hear ya! And after your last few blog posts it is so apparent how quickly it is happening!

CPost said...

I know mine too, every time I think I can't run anymore, if that song comes on I can keeping going and push though the pain. I still need to add the new one to my playlist..

Rob and Marseille said...

I want to see that one of D on the TV in 15 yrs when he's playing for BYU. Too cute!

Unknown said...

Aww. Nuf said.