Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring

Its is now officially Spring in my book. I don't go by the calendar or what the wacky weather is doing, I consider it spring when I see these...

There they were today in a neighborhood I ran through; not many, but enough to make a decent bunch of spring cheer.
They made me think of one of my favorite poems, that at one point in my life, I had completely memorized. Since my feet felt like blocks of cement and my breathing was akin to the day that I tried to watch the end of Nicolas Spark's, "Nights in Rodanthe," while running on the treadmill (sobbing and running don't mix well), I tried to recite it in my head as a means of distraction. But as Wordsworth's words tumbled through my mind in incomplete phrases, I could only come up with the last stanza-
For oft when upon my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood;
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

And so I trudged on.
How could I not, with  sprightly heads that bobbed ever so slightly in the breeze, cheering me on in their own jocund way?
I had to;
 its finally Spring!


I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud
by William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine,
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed - and gazed - but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

6 comments:

Corine Moore said...

LUCKY YOU! Nothing but rain here (forecasted for all of "Spring" break!), and my tulips are not even done growing, let alone bloomed. So it was nice to see a bit of "spring" on your blog. :) Be sure and do some rollerblading for me this week! ;)

PS. I just had an ah ha moment. Because of the rain, (the roads being too wet to rollerblade) I actually went for a jog with one of my 15 YO boys yesterday. We were soaked... but we had a great time anyhow! :) He told me we should go jogging every day. :D I now feel blessed to have rain!

Thank you for spurring on my thoughts of gratitude. :)

Teachinfourth said...

Amen to the coming of spring!

Corine Moore said...

Hi. :) I just thought I would let you know that your blog completely inspired some thought I had which led to a spontaneous blog of my own... which I just wrote. :) Thanks!

Chastina said...

I agree that it isn't spring until you see the flowers blooming and the trees budding. It's beginning!

Jeanne said...

Ah yes,Spring WILL come again! Also,it is Easter Sunday coming - to remind us He will come again... And, because of Him we will come up again like the Daffodils.
Maybe that is why it is also my favorite poem. Happy you picked it up, too.
Thanks for the encouraging post.
Mom Jeanne

Unknown said...

Lovely, Natalie. I used to love teaching that poem to my students--Wordsworth is wonderful. Our daffodils are blooming, too, and the grass is greening and getting longer...I love the changing of the seasons.