Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Baptism & Chocolate...or is it A Baptism by Chocolate?

On Saturday, our friends the Rubows, invited us to their son, Levi's baptism. Levi is quite the special kid and because of his sheer excitement at the prospect of being baptized coupled with his exclamation of "That was fun!" as he was raised out of the water, there was a sweet spirit in that room packed with friends and family that was undeniable. It was such a sweet feeling that I think many on looking eyes couldn't help but become damp at the grin that spread across Levi's innocent face. It was one of those moments you feel blessed to have been there to witness such complete joy.

Thank You Rubow Family, for allowing us to be part of such a great day.

Following Levi's baptism and confirmation, the Rubows also treated everyone to lunch- and man, did they put on a spread! Specifically so, because there really seemed to be quite an emphasis on the dessert course- my favorite...and apparently Benjamin's too.

It was our turn to dish our plates and even though Richard had a plate to fill  for Ben with lunch items such as the BBQ pork sandwhich, chips and veggies, Ben had his own plate and a different idea what his lunch should be.

He bypassed the lunch table and headed straight for the dessert table. Now, I'm not sure how it happened or who even dished it for him, but he wound up with a huge piece of Texas sheet cake, a gigantic slice of chocolate cake that could only be described as "Death by Chocolate," and a sliver of a chocolate cheesecake that filled the entire void of a 9 inch dinner plate! I think I gained 5 pounds just by looking at it!

He didn't even bother to get a fork or spoon, he just sat down and started licking! Fearing the onslaught of a "show me how the piggies eat" moment, I quickly got him a utensil and he proceeded to shovel chocolately dessert heaven into his mouth, but not before he got it on his chin, cheeks, nose and new Easter church outfit.

It was funny.

I have to admit, I should have been repulsed by his manners or lack there of, as I think the older lady who unfortunately had the misfortune of sitting across from us was, but I couldn't resist seeing the utter enjoyment on and all over his face.

We did give him a napkin and I wished I had captured his freckled face smeared with chocolate before it was wiped somewhat clean, but of course, I had left my camera at home. That's when I remembered seeing my friend Jason, there with a bag slung over his shoulder. Since he is a photographer and not exactly the type to carry around a man-purse, I was hoping that bag contained his camera and he would be willing to snap a shot of Ben for me. 

He readily obliged and even took a break from his own dessert to not only snap one shot, but a series of Ben eating his chocolate cake.
He even got him to grin so big that choclately goo was spilling out from where Ben's front teeth should be and between his lips- absolutely adorable!


Perhaps, it's a smile only a mom could love.... and perhaps not... because the unfortunate older lady was smiling too... until Ben regurgitated the chocolate mass back out onto the plate.

I guess it's time for a Family Home Evening on manners or we'll never be invited to eat in public again.


 Thank You to the man of many names- Jason, Mr. Z, or Backroads Photography photographer- for having my back and always being so willing to capture the moment.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Hmmmm, I have NO idea who dished that little Ben up. (Eyes looking at the ceiling......whistling.....)

I saw the camera bag too and since I was so busy doing stuff I hoped that camera would come out. I'm glad it caught such a fab. moment!

PMC said...

ewwwwwwwww!!!! that was sooooo cute!!! and gross. but cuuuuuuute!!!!! and gross. :) yay for mr. z. and a big high five to the lady who dished it all up! rachel...what a darling. ben will have to thank you later. after his bath. :)

Huffstuff said...

Awesome! I think that is what I would totally do if I was all alone in a room with chocolate! Love that Ben and that chocolate smile:)

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Lol! I've always thought Ben has some amazingly adorable spunk. These pictures are just an added testiment to that.

Chastina said...

What a smart young man! I agree with the sentiment that one should eat dessert first! I LOVE the pictures!

Richard & Natalie said...

Rachel, I had just finished writing this when I saw your comment on FB. So you're the one to blame for these pictures! Well... I only have one thing to say to you...Thanks!

Misty, It's funny how kids can be such a mixture of the two isn't it?

Shaleece, Me too- on both counts!

Lyndee, He's got spunk, that's for sure! Too bad Mr. Z wasn't there to capture the "victory" run. It will just have to live on in our memories. :)

Chastina, I've taught him well haven't I?

Teachinfourth said...

The service was wonderful, and the 'show' afterward was great, too.

Those pictures made me laugh.

Teachinfourth said...

The service was wonderful, and the 'show' afterward was great, too.

Those pictures made me laugh.