Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dreams and Nightmares

Easter morning Ashton woke up after having a dream about owning a turtle with the desire and determination to have one of his own. Last Friday night, that dream came true since he had worked hard for and saved enough money to finally buy this Russian Tortoise.


Her name is Ricky; the short and feminine version of Richard, Ashton's dad. Can you tell my kids idolize their father?

I was not particularly fond of the thought of this purchase, but look at the smile on that boy's face? He even kissed her shell the other day when he took her school. Gross, I know. But how do you say "no" to a love like that? If you're a sucker like me, you don't....and you end up the co-owner of a turtle that will probably outlive you.
And this is where my nightmare begins. 

You can't have 4 kids and have only one of them get a pet. The others let out cries of unfairness and protest favoritism, so your husband takes them to the store and comes home with ...no not another turtle, but 3 goldfish and 2 very creepy arachnid-esqe crabs. I know it is probably just payback from all the birds, lizards, hermit crabs, and turtles that I as a girl tormented my own parents with. But fish? Why did they have to want fish? Really, is there any pet stinkier than fish?


Anyway, our aquatic family members have been dubbed Cocoa, Jason, and Chad (who as of yesterday, is now swimming in the greater waters above. YES! I mean...How sad). Ben's crab is named Anchor and Emma's is "Nice Crab" as she so lovingly calls it.
 

Within the space of 24 hours we went from being a one psychotic cat family to a seven blended pet family.
A horrific nightmare, indeed.
Now I have six five more strange, stinky, slimy, scaly, somewhat freaky, and helpless individuals to help take care of....
Okay, maybe it is do-able.
It's not too much of a stretch from having kids.

Just kidding...I really do love them.
The kids that is.

5 comments:

Denae said...

Way to take one for the team. I am so laughing at this. You are a great Mom for putting up with all of it.

Chastina said...

At least fish are fairly "easy" to take care of. Other than cleaning the tank from time to time.

I love the excitement on Ashton's face!

Rachel said...

Oh ugh! I hear ya sister I do. I do NOT want Matthew coming home begging for a turtle so as a friend you must complain about those things when he is there. About what horrible pets they are and how every kid would hate having a pet!! Please??? All of our pets are finally dying off over here!! Help me out would ya?

Grief! Seven kids.....seven pets.....can't do it. At one time we had (and I kid you not.....) two dogs, a cat, a canary, two faggot cocketiels, two guinea pigs, a turtle, and a flippin' fish that would die no matter how hard I tried to kill it! Seems like I am missing a pet or two in there.......

It's INSANE I TELL YA! Too many kids and too many pets! I did a happy dance when the punks weren't looking when each pet finally croaked. Yes, even the fish.....who eventually DID die....

Teachinfourth said...

I've got 22 animals this year…next year I think they're giving me around 28. Good luck with yours.

Tami Anderson said...

Ohhh! It's a "crab" not a "krap". Now I get it.