Monday, May 17, 2010

The Secret to Recovery

At 5:00 yesterday morning I was awakened by the sound of my name. I worked to peel myself off the love seat where I had fallen asleep when my body gave out late Saturday night. After a busy Saturday of finishing my first half marathon, attending a bridal shower for my niece, and a belated Mother's Day dinner with my family, the 13 stairs to my bed were too much; I simply couldn't go any further. But at 5 a.m. with much effort I made it up those stairs and to the source of the call of my name. It was Ashton, hot with fever and a really sore throat.

He was given a drink and I took my sore quads back down the stairs to locate the thermometer. By the time I got back up to his room he was complaining of nausea and asking for a bucket, so my sore quads and I went down the stairs again to retrieve a basin. We made it back just in time.

After a few more trips up and down the stairs of agony, I made my bed on the playroom couch right outside his room, but I didn't sleep; luckily, Ashton did. When he woke up he felt better in the way that you do after you have almost turned yourself inside out beginning with your stomach and the exhaustive sleep that follows. He called to me and I went in to find a wide eyed excited looking boy. He said, "Wow, I feel better." I replied with some remark of how glad I was. He continued as serious as can be, "I guess while I slept my white blood cells must have opened a spicy can of kick-butt on that virus." I nodded and smiled and after trying to hold it in, I laughed. How could I not? A spicy can of kick-butt. Where do they come up with this stuff?

(My sickie)
The thing is that spicy can of kick-butt must have not been spicy enough since his fever and sore throat stuck around and he stayed home from school today. So if you happen to know where I can find a can that is spicy enough- please, let me know. I have 3 other children that love to play follow the leader.

7 comments:

PMC said...

hilarious!!! spicy can....kick-butt! oh...natalie!!!

PMC said...

my heck....

CONGRATS ON THE RUN BABE!

Jeanne said...

He's not Bonking?! He is SICK! Glad you checked him out at the Doctor. Hope he is well fast, AND that it is NOT shared with the rest of you! or any remenants left here with us...

Corine Moore said...

LOL! I love it! :D What a funny kid! Tell him I suppose he had garlic in his dinner (that stuff is a serious "but kicking" natural antibiotic!) But then again, perhaps it wasn't garlic; he did stay home the next day, after all. ;) I sugest cooking with garlic (but not overcooking it) AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE to build up the immunities of all of your children - quick!

Good luck! :) And let me know if you do it and how much it helps (if you don't mind).

Carrilyne said...

Poor you! Why do children always get sick when one parent is out of town! You are an awesome mom to do what you do! From getting pets to taking care of sickies! I want to be just like you!

Richard & Natalie said...

Misty, It's not me, its him- I promise.
And thanks.

Mom, Yep, you know that boy is sick when he doesn't "bonk".

Corine, I will have to try the garlic thing. I only thought it was food for fending off vampires and creating stinky breath :) Do you have any good recipes?

Carrilyne, Because that, my dear, is how my life goes. And I am only just trying to keep up with you.

Unknown said...

Aww. That stinks. I love the spicy can of kick-butt, though. I'm going to use that in the future to coax my kids through their own illnesses. :)