Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The gift of music

I love music.
And over the last year iTunes and I have had a little love affair. I secretly think that he only likes me for my money, but that’s okay. I can live with that because from him I get it all… love, adventure, fun, excitement, reflection, and lots of heartbreak all in the form of music. My playlists are filled with everything from classical to classic rock, country to alternative, even church music to a little hard rock. Richard calls it “eclectic”. I say that I am “just well rounded”. My children not so lovingly call it “Mom music”.

"Mom music" means that from my kitchen counter you’ll often hear the classics like the Eagles, Journey, and REO Speedwagon, with a little Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin mixed in, streaming from my laptop. And of course, you can’t forget the Kennys; Rogers, Loggins, and G. They are there too, like many others, packed in to playlists. From some playlists you may find me dancing to “Crocodile Rock” or “Wang Chung”-ing it in the kitchen with Emma. With another, I try to sing along with Josh Groban in languages I don’t speak. It's okay...I can admit it, because I know you do it too. One leaves me wishing I could play the piano as well Jim Brickman and the "Piano Man". And yes, I even have some Miley, Jonas Brothers and HSM in there too. But I would definitely be remiss if I forgot my ever faithful Depeche Mode and the Cure. Seriously, what would we have danced to at stomps if we didn’t have “Somebody” and “Lovesong” to slowly turn in circles to? And that’s just a lot of my old stuff. I haven’t mentioned any of my new found favorites like Linkin Park, Vertical Horizon, Secondhand Serenade, Five for Fighting, and Mark Schultz to name just a few. There is some great listening to be had from "Mom Music".

The majority of these songs, artists, or genres remind me about specific times and events throughout my life. There they sit in their playlists just like old friends waiting for their turn to be called up and invited to sit at my kitchen island to reminisce of old times. But that was the problem. My “friends” were mainly tethered to my kitchen or various other parts of the house where electrical plugs and the internet could be located. At least that was true until now.


The wonderful guy I get to call my husband bought me these… a new iPod nano and arm band. He knew how badly I’ve wanted one for months now, especially to run with, so he saved the mileage money he accrues driving to the airport and other various meetings and purchased me a pretty little pink one for our anniversary.

So no longer are my friends restricted to the house. They traveled with me to Cedar City last week and to my parent’s home this weekend. They also went running with me this morning. I felt like a tricked out vehicle, between it and my running watch. And in my mind there’s no doubt, I was the coolest thing on the trail this morning, but only because I was surrounded by some of my “friends”.

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

This is one 'love affair' I approve of - other than the one you have going with "my favorite son-in-law!" Mom Jeanne

Chastina said...

Hurray! I'm glad you got one. I love mine and use it all the time. It's fun being able to take music without having to do the CD's. Or cassettes or 8tracks.(do you remember those?) :D

Richard & Natalie said...

Chastina- I am proud to say I never owned a 8 track...we only had scratched and warped records until the cassette era.

Guest said...

One can never have too much good music to take along on any type of journey.

Happy running.

Gerb said...

I share your love affair with music - even most of the same artists and groups that you mentioned!

Enjoy the iPod... it does make running much more enjoyable.

Rob and Marseille said...

running with music is great!