Friday, July 16, 2010

39 Days

"Ah, summer- what power you have to make us suffer and like it." -Russel Baker


I am in my pajamas....not because it is 10:00 pm, but because I have been in them all day. I also had a nap today-- in fact, I had two. I have watched an abnormal amount of HGTV, yet I can't recall any details of anything I viewed. My house is in shambles due to 4 children being left to their own devices and luckily, my mother sent home a loaf of her homemade bread with us yesterday or those 4 children may have starved. I am not kidding-- I seriously popped 2 bags of popcorn for dinner.

 I woke up today feeling like I had been all I could be, given all I could give, and today it was time for a break. Couple that with the fact, that I came home from camping feeling like I was run over by a Mack truck, with a sore throat, and congestion that makes me sound like the dog my kids want, but can't have and the result you get is my day.

All was not lost, I will have you know that I did do something today. I looked up the date that school starts- August 24th. With today being the 16th there are 15 more days left in July and 24 until the first day of school in August, add them together and we end up with 39 more days of summer. I didn't look it up to know how many more days I had to endure my children being home all day because actually I really enjoy them being around. I looked it up to know how much longer I have to endure the non-schedule of summer, because I think it is starting to wear on me.

It seems like since the last day of school we have been running- and not the good kind of running that I really love. I feel like we have been running from one activity to the other, from one vacation to the next, and from one family get together to another, all in the name of summer. Don't get me wrong, I love to have fun like spending long days in amusement parks and weeks living in a tent with no running water and the nearest flush toilet 275 steps (yes, I counted) in the dark from my campsite because we are making memories. Memories that I hope my kids will repeat someday over a campfire to their kids in the same campground we frequent and on their first time visiting the same amusement park. Having no particular schedule to follow leaves way for plenty of memory making; perhaps just too much for my own good.

So I guess I've started looking forward to a time when bedtimes are set and adhered to. A time when the schedule includes homework, projects, and reading hours. A time when fun things are put on the calendar to look forward to during breaks and vacations. A time when life is somewhat predictable again.

Then 2 months into that time I'll be looking forward to a carefree summer again.

10 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

I hear you…I have about 2 weeks of summer before I am back for summer school. I look forward to a new batch of students, but also want to enjoy the rest of my time (limited though it is) before the organized mayhem begins yet again.

Here's to a summer of fun and soon to be set schedules. Hope you're back running on all cylinders again soon.

Rachel said...

Oh Nat! You're not allowed to get sick during the summer!!

So funny, I was wondering the other day how many more days are left because I feel like I am running out of time! Our summer has been filled with the boys going off to scout camps and I am feeling frustrated wondering where and when I can fit in time to BE with my kids and create memories.

Summer isn't long enough anymore now that the kids are older. Having teenagers is just plain obnoxious when it comes to schedules. THEIR schedules.

I feel so panicked. Like summer is getting away from me and I've not started "MY" summer yet. :)

Having Brennan go to work so early in the morning does help with schedules. We have to be up early to have prayer with him so it means early to bed. That does help...... Then again.... after he leaves all of the kids end up going back to bed and the harping begins...... can't win!!!

Ty n Casey's Mom said...

I guess I'm just a lazy slob because I love the non-schedule of summer. It's the school year that makes me feel fun down, like I'm running faster than I have strength. Sorry you got sick camping, but congrats on getting TWO naps in one day -- don't think I've ever done that!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Inside my head, I was laughing because I know how you feel. I hate the homework involved with school and all the beginning/end of year stuff you end up running around for...but I sure do love a schedule...and early to bed...and having time in the morning to get things done. I hear ya....but I sure do miss them when they're gone.

Huffstuff said...

Sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope you are on the mends and getting back to unorganized but eventful memory making of this summer.

Richard & Natalie said...

TF, I am running on 2 cylinders today. Yesterday was better; I actually accomplished something besides being a lump on the couch or in my bed.

More summer school? You're a glutton for punishment...and I think you love it. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Rachel, If I'm not allowed to get sick, why didn't my body get the message?
I know what you mean about starting "MY" summer. We've gone and done tons of different things, but I haven't had the chance to do some of the little things I want to do with them. Maybe I'll keep them grounded for another week. ;)

Karen, I love the non-schedule too until I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Then I need some direction again.

Lyndee, That is why we help out at the school so we can catch glimpses of them when they're not looking.

Sheece, Me too! Because none, absolutely NONE of those memories have been made with you guys yet.

Unknown said...

Whew. Nat, you said a mouthful, and as I was kind of braindead today (okay...really braindead today...) this was a mouthful I could totally appreciate. I always begin summer full of eager anticipation..."it's going to be SO FUN!" and within hours of beginning that first vacation days of getting out of school it quickly just turns kind of manic. I'm in a tailspin right now, and I have no earthly idea how many days I have left until school throws me a life preserver...hold on, I'll find out...we start the 23rd and I'm reading this the 19th, so that gives me 35 days. I am in desperate need of either some Calgon or some Red Bull.

Chastina said...

You summed up my feelings beautifully! I could have came over and made some Mac N Cheese for you guys.

K said...

I'm kind of chuckling. A carefree summer. I'm trying to remember one of those, but I'm only coming up with the one in fourth grade. Being a grown-up is such a funny biz. I caught one of my kids once storming around in that, "I can't wait till I grow up and can do what I want," state of fury. Took the wind out of her sales by rolling on the floor, laughing.

We are the stage-managers, the tour planners, the janitorial, the conscience, the logistics computer, the pack horses, the pruners - and even now, when the kids are gone, I was just telling Rachel how this summer has felt like one hamster wheel from hades. And looking back, I can't even figure out why. I catch myself in every year and every season saying, "Next year it will be different. Next year, I'll have clarity and the time will flow by like silk across my hands." Forgetting that silk catches so badly on working hands.

Rachel said...

"and the time will flow by like silk across my hands. Forgetting that silk catches so badly on working hands."

Kristen! I love this!!! Maybe because silk has never flown through my hands because it is always catching on my work worn hands.....

Love the wording of this.....