Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A promise fulfilled



A few weeks ago, as I attempted to hold Emma on my lap during Sacrament Meeting, I couldn’t help admiring her. I ran my fingers through her long, honey colored locks and appreciated the petite features of her face. Her cheeks tinted with the perfect shade of rose. Her deep brown eyes framed by long dark lashes. Her little, perfectly formed lips set right below the button nose she inherited from me and directly above the subtle cleft in her chin from her father.

As I finished my appraisal, I was not prepared for the overwhelming feelings of love for her that suddenly rushed over me. I tried to blink back the tears that burned in my eyes as I thought about that little being on my lap. To me, she embodied complete and utter perfection.


I recalled the promise I had been given in a priesthood blessing during my difficult pregnancy with her. The promise stated that "even though I would have more difficulty and more trials before the pregnancy was through, I would find much joy in the spirit that was to be a part of our family and all that I was going through would be worth it in the end."

Now, I had different tears to blink away.

Sitting there in Sacrament Meeting I realized that my Father in Heaven’s promise to me had been fulfilled. All of the pregnancy aches & pains, plus the wicked migraines and varicose veins that felt like someone shoving hot rods down the back of my legs were worth every inch of the perfection sitting on my lap.

Happy (belated) Birthday, Emzies. We couldn’t have asked for a better baby girl than you.

The Cake.
 A strawberry cake with vanilla frosting topped with Ni Hao-Kai Lan (Emma's Chinese tutor :)

Good thing Dallin and Ben were there to help blow out her candle.

Emma with her favorite gift from Pop Marlin & Grandma Jeanne.  It is a large book with lots of little books inside about baby farm animals.  She loves it and I have had to start hiding it because I get tired of reading the little books all the time!

Emma's new birthday bedding on her big girl bed.

7 comments:

Chastina said...

Emma's going to want a copy of this when she is older. What a great way to express your love for her!

The Nixons said...

That was great. I have tears :) Yes, Emma will defiantly want a copy of this! You're such a good mommy.

Happy Birthday Emma!

tamra said...

All of a sudden she is not a baby anymore--so sad! But she is so cute! What a blessing!

Guest said...

Glad to hear that all is well, and all is good. It's also nice to realize that hard times yield great things in the end.

Gerb said...

Your family is beautiful... and what a lovely post.

Carrilyne said...

So special! I can't believe she is two! I love her room! And dang those varicose veins I got them with number four!

Unknown said...

That daybed looks just like the one you had growing up {at least in my mind}. Unless of course, it couldn't be that daybed, could it? I remember many nights sleeping in that daybed with you as little girls. We always had so much fun together. Good times.
xo,
Jen