Thursday, October 1, 2009

Disappointed

Disappointed.

I simply love that word.
 
I discovered the power of "disappointed" when Ashton was 4 or 5.  He had done something wrong and upon discussing it with him I mentioned how "disappointed" Daddy would be.  He looked at me with anguish in his face and moaned,  "I can't handle disappointed! ANYTHING but disappointed!"

I realized that "disappointed" still has a spell on my oldest, as yesterday, I found him and a friend selling counterfeit Pokemon cards to his younger brothers for a $1 each.  He was very proud of his money making venture until I told him that what he was doing was deceitful and that I was "disappointed" he would do such a thing.

It didn't take long for him to come to me with that anguished look on his face and admit that he felt bad about what he had done and he was going to give them their money back.

Isn't having a conscience a wonderful thing?

"Disappointed" had worked it's magic again. So back into my bag of mommy tricks it goes until next time a conscience needs pricking.

Then, I guess to get back into my good graces he felt the need to do some serious brown nosing....not really I just couldn't help posting these pictures of how he enjoyed the last piece of German Chocolate cake last night.  Seems he has a hard time keeping that handsome mug of his clean.

I suppose I should be "disappointed" in his manners, but it was too funny at the time. When you see him you'll have to ask how German Chocolate cake tastes when it's inhaled?

10 comments:

Gerb said...

That word can work magic sometimes, can't it? I must say I am amazed with your son's salesmanship if he was able to get his little brother to pay $1 each for Pokemon cards... fake or not!

Jeanne said...

With a little "Costuming" that last face shot would make a great Dracula for Halloween! I remember the first day you told me over the phone about "disappointed!" He also said something that he "could not stand disappointed. ANYTHING except disappointed." We should all feel that way toward the Savior. Mom Jeanne

Richard & Natalie said...

Gerb- They were pretty convincing looking and all of my boys love Pokemon and would probably even sell me to get more.
Mom- Thanks for being my memory. I'll change it so I have it right. I was really close anyway.

Ty n Casey's Mom said...

Those little boys and their Pokemon cards are funny. I didn't know they made "fake" ones, or do they? Anyway, I'll have to remember that "disappointed" trick to use on Tyler! I'm pretty sure it would have no affect on Casey.

Rachel said...

Selling Pokemon?? No way! Matthew would NEVER do anything like that...... :D

Huffstuff said...

Love it. Love that kid. You have done well with parenting him.

Chastina said...

He never ceases to amaze me with his inventive ways to make money.

I love the chocolate face! Black mail pics. :D

Teachinfourth said...

I'll have to remember to ask him about the cake tomorrow...as for the cards, I hope I see some during class; he knows what will happen to them if I do.

Richard & Natalie said...

TF- Can I just say that pic of you makes me smile every time I see it? Not to mention, it really makes me crave a maple bar!

I think that I may just have to sneak all of the Pokemon cards into your class some how. Then they would be out of my hair and into your little drawer- which I feel is a much better home for them anyway.

PMC said...

how cute...the pics and the cake and, oh boys.....boys boys boys! and those little brothers believe just about anything their big brother tells them too...the big brother has power and power is an interesting thing