Saturday, October 3, 2009

Never Say Never


Cedar Canyon 2009 

When Richard and I were dating and newly married we loved to go to the theater. Musicals, plays, and the occasional concert were a favorite past time of ours. With our fondness for plays and the fact that we lived in Utah, it was no surprise we found ourselves headed to The Utah Shakespearean Festival located in Cedar City one summer. To make a long story short, we loved the festival, but for some reason we HATED Cedar City. I vowed that I could NEVER live there.


Fast forward a couple of years, Richard was asked by his supervisor to interview for a specific job. She felt he had the needed leadership skills and knew he would benefit from the promotion. The promotion and coveted job were located in….Cedar City.

No way! Remember, we hated that place.

Plus, we just had our first baby and I was a week away from starting my 2nd year of nursing school at Weber State. This was not a good time to be quitting school, packing up, and moving four hours away from any of our family.

But in all actuality, it was the best time to be doing all of those things.

No, wasn’t the right answer- and we knew it. We felt it. So off to Cedar City we went. And do you know what? We LOVED it. For 3 ½ years we proudly called it our home.

Then Richard phoned me one afternoon to tell me he had been talking to his boss again. There were some sites that were struggling that could really benefit from Richard’s experience and once again, it would be a worthwhile promotion. Our choices were Killeen, Texas or British Columbia, Canada.

The choice seemed easy. Texas. The alternative was not even a choice. Canada? I could NEVER live there.

And so the magic words were said. Our fate sealed. Kamloops, British Columbia, became our home for the next 3 years and 3 months… to the day. And do you know what? We LOVED it and still do. I ache to see those tall lodge pole pines, to be asked if I want my milk in a beg (bag), and not to have people smile or laugh when I say “eh”. But all to soon our time there was over, life was to move on- as much as we hated it- we knew it. Again, we felt it.

And so the magic incantation brought us here.

The answer is…yes. I said it. “I will NEVER live in Happy Valley.” And, “I definitely, would NEVER want to live in Provo.” You would think that I would’ve learned my lesson by now, but who knows… maybe the third time really is the charm. Three and a half years later, I’m thinking…I might be right.

Thanks to the help of my parents watching our kids, Richard and I were able to run away last Thursday and Friday to Cedar City. We visited old friends, ate at our favorite restaurants, took in a play, walked the campus where I finished nursing school, and after years of not being back to visit, we toured our once beloved town.

It was an incredible feeling. I was struck with how much you leave of yourself behind in a place that you love. It was like we never left as we took in the brilliant blue sky set against the red rock landscape. We drove familiar streets and relived our life there.

Emotion swelled in my chest and tears blurred my vision.

I was grateful there is someone who would not accept NEVER as my answer. Who has eternal eyesight to see beyond the here and now to view the entire plan for me; who knows beyond my mortal comprehension the lessons that needed learning and the growing that needed to take place so that wonderful experiences could happen.

And dare I say it…. Provo is one of them.

Me with one of my best friends, LaRae.

The best fast food place to eat at in Cedar, Hermies. I highly recommend the grilled turkey & onion rings washed down with a Vanilla Coke. 



On the beautiful SUU Campus.


At the play "The Complete Works of William Shakespear- Abridged".  It was hilarious.  If you can get the chance to go see it, you won't regret it.


Fall in Cedar is breathtaking.  Right Hand Canyon and Cedar Mountain certainly didn't disappoint with their fall colors on display.  


Last stop before heading home, Cedar Breaks.


6 comments:

Huffstuff said...

I had to laugh a bit. When we were applying for med school, WI was the last place we filled in on the application. It was also the last place I wanted to live. BTW how do you feel about Poky. Never what to live here too??? We hope not, (so maybe you will. Never say never)

Guest said...

I would recommend Tommie's Donuts in Cedar City as well...just can't be beat.

It's also amazing to know that there are fantastic places out there, just waiting to be lived in...we just don't know how great they are yet.

Chastina said...

Throughout my life I said I would never live in Provo. Now I love it. I have to say I'm glad you moved to Provo.

Rachel said...

When we built this house we were only going to live in it for a year. We were NEVER going to live in Provo. Provo UT!!!! No way! So why in the world are we still here after 14 years? :D And I have to say I'm glad we are.

Well, I would love new flooring.....I could handle that sort of change.

Richard & Natalie said...

Sheece- I keep trying with Poky, but I guess there is more for us here in Provo yet to do.

Guest- Tommies went in right before we moved. In fact, it is right down the street from where we lived. I walked there one day for donuts with Ashton, but I can't remember...do they have a really good maple bar?

Chastina- I'm gald we moved to Provo too. We have THEE best backyard neighbors- they still love us even when we flood their yard. :)

Rachel- I know you tried to get rid of us all by moving last year. I for one, am glad you didn't and that you are here 14 yrs later.

Rob and Marseille said...

I thought you were announcing a move. I was like "Nooooo!" When we got married we weren't going to stay in provo either. But, the longer we lived here, the more we liked it, and here we are with a house. And we'll be here atleast 2 1/2 more years...hopefully more.