Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Silver Linings

In the storms of life there are clouds; dark, foreboding, unwelcome, and depressing. On days like today when the weather seems to be a reflection of my inner self, those clouds seem to hover ever closer above my head. And I'm tired of them.

I am so completely and utterly sick to death of clouds!!!!

But sometimes clouds don't dispel as easy as they form. So with clouds looming, I tried to distract myself from watching the hands on the clock ticking ever so slowly toward Richard's ETA from Cincinnati, by reading his blog. And that's where I found it.

That little shimmering sliver of good amongst the thick, grey crown churning atop my head. The bit of hope to keep me from being swallowed in their endless fog. The silver lining.

His last 3 posts reminded me that even though sometimes I may struggle here at home, Richard has been afforded some amazing opportunities in his travels lately. With his love of history and the cause of liberty how could I begrudge the trips that have taken him to places in the forefront of some of the greatest events in history; places where he has longed to go and now has gotten to? I couldn't, so I won't. It would simply be selfish and that's not the person I want to be.

So as the clouds dispel somewhat, the sun making its way through the cracks, I look forward to our reunion tonight for another reason than just being together again. When I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him hello, I will be happy to have in my arms a husband who has gotten to experience the silver lining and is a better person for it.

We both are.

4 comments:

PMC said...

thank you nat. very good post. i feel very sad today, so this is very welcome.

Guest said...

Glad to hear of the sun shining down into your little world.

Rachel said...

Natalie, THIS is why you are Dori. :) Always giving and thinking of others.

Richard & Natalie said...

Misty- I'm sorry...I hoped it helped. :)

Guest- "Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sometimes I just have to figure out how to get out of the way.

Rachel- I suppose it is ok to be Dori if that is how I can be viewed.
I have felt badly about your whole situation all week. I hope you are feeling better and that the pain pills are starting to work. I'm still praying.
We are enjoying having Matt here. Maybe I'll feed him a corndog or two before I send him home! :)