Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cornbelly's & 'Decking the Halls'




The best thing about being in pre-school is going on all the fieldtrips.  And even though, this is Ben's second year in pre-school, he doesn't get any less excited about upcoming fieldtrips. He really anticipated going with his class to Cornbelly's at Thanksgiving Point last Tuesday, especially since we missed it last year thanks to the stomach flu.

Monday evening we packed our lunch, so we wouldn't risk missing any excitement the next day and at five o'clock Tuesday morning I woke up to the sound of a seal barking; only it was Dallin, with a horribly croupy cough and gasping for air.  After two trips of sitting on the front porch bundled in blankets the cold air helped, he was breathing much better, and went back to bed. 

But what about the field trip? I couldn't send Dallin to school to cough all over his classmates, but I didn't feel like he could go to Cornbelly's with us the way he was feeling. I figured Ben, probably, wouldn't go to Cornbelly's without me, but I decided the least I could do was to drive him there and pick him up. 

Hoping Ben would go for it, I woke him up and explained the situation. No go.  He cried and insisted  he wouldn't go at all without me, so I said we would have to miss it again this year. By this time Dallin was awake, looking a little perkier, and coughing less.  He said he would go with us if we didn't stay long. So I may be a bad mom, but off to Cornbelly's we went.
We stayed long enough to jump a little...


...slide down the slides...

and visit the pumpkin patch.

Dallin was a trooper and did lots of snuggling with mom while Ben and Emma played. He was happy he was able to take home a pumpkin and that his brother got to go on his fieldtrip.


One of our family's favorite holidays is Halloween.

Who's isn't it? Right?

So Wednesday, for Family Home Evening, (yes, that's not the usual night, but since Richard was going to be home we waited) we kicked off the season by pulling out the halloween totes and putting up our decorations.

Ben and Dallin enjoyed making the yard into a graveyard with Daddy.









Ashton was too busy doing this....

...to help much, but he would occasionally stop to give us his opinion on how things should be done.

Emma was okay with everything as long as she didn't have to get too close.

And of course, you can't have FHE without treats, so we went to Krispy Kreme for 2 dozen doughnuts.  We kept one to eat with apple cider at home and took the other to a fabulous family who we admire a lot.

It was a 'sweet' way to kick off what we hope to be a 'spook-tacular' Halloween!
(All corniness intended.)

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

Loved seeing another one of my GRAND-kids! Wish I had one of those Krispy Kreme "maple bars' right now for breakfast!
Jeanne, Mom, G-ma

PMC said...

cute kids!

Rachel said...

No, not a bad mom. I'd have done the same. You were outside. The decorations look great. You are such a fun mom!!!

Gerb said...

Halloween is my favorite holiday as well. We usually get crazy with decorating but may have to tone it down this year. Looks like an awesome day!

Chastina said...

How fun! You guys have been busy. I hope Dallin is feeling better.

Guest said...

What a fun day! Also, great photos...I particularly like the tunnel shot.

The image of all 4 kiddos at KK makes them look like littler versions of Ashton...

Richard & Natalie said...

Mom- You can treat me next time we visit.

Misty, I think so, but I am a little partial.

Rachel- Actually being outside in the cool air was the best thing for him! Thanks for the validation.

Gerb- What is it that makes us so crazy for this holiday? I can't get enough. I suppose we could blame it on the chocolate.

Chastina- We had a great time. Dallin's better, Ben's getting there, Emma's still in the thick of it, and I'm still waiting to see if Ashton is going to catch it. Crossing my fingers.

Guest- Thank you. The tunnel shot is also a favorite of mine.

The pic at KK I call my "stair step pic". It reminds me of some pics that my mom has of me and my 3 brothers; same cookie cutter face just different hair. Looks like my kids are following suit.