Thursday, October 8, 2009

Watch it! That's my friend you're talking about.

As I checked down my list of blogs to see what new little goodies had been posted this morning, I saw a new one on this  friend's blog. I clicked the icon and was whisked away into her blog world.
I have enjoyed this friend's blog for a little over a year now.  I started reading after the plane crash happened, so I got to know her through  her fans/friends reposts of their favorites of her pre-accident blog posts. When she came back I was excited to hear about how life was now; post crash.

I worried that things had changed; that she had changed. She could have easily- she had every right to, but she didn't. If she did, it was for the better.

While reading her blog post today, I was still kicking myself for missing her appearance on Oprah yesterday. I ran off to Costco and forgot to set the DVR. I think it had something to do with subconsciously not wanting to watch Oprah. (Yes, I hear you gasping.  But everybody loves Oprah! Not this body. I don't necessarily dislike her...but that is a controverisal tangent for another day.) So friends, if anyone recorded it and wouldn't mind sharing or knows where I can view it online I would be most grateful- even if it means I will be watching Oprah.

Anyway, while reading her latest post, which included what I thought was absolutely beautiful picture of this friend of mine, Dallin, wanting the computer, looked over my shoulder and made a derogatory remark.

I felt anger rise in me.

 I snapped back and launched into that she had been in plane crash where she was badly burned and that it was not her fault.  His grin faded and I could tell he felt bad; either from the story or my harsh tone, I'm not sure which. I remembered that this was a child I was talking to, so I apologized for snapping and softened; realizing, what I hoped to be a teaching moment.

Before I knew it, my mouth was spewing forth the oratory about beauty. You know the one we all recieved from our own mothers at one time or another growing up.

It went something like this:
"...True beauty comes from the inside. It does not matter what people look like on the outside, it is what they do and say- who they really are that matters. You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, meaning we shouldn't judge a person by what they look like; we should get to know them first..."
I even said, "Pretty is as pretty does."

When the oratory was done; all canned phrases repeated, and every word that I swore I would never say to my children spoken, I realized that probably for the first time in my life, not only did I know those phrases- I knew them.  I believed them.

Over the course of a year, through nienie's words, attitude, and simply who she is, I have been taught many things. But probably, the biggest accomplishment for me...was that she turned me into a believer.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

First, I love your new header photo. So cute of your goblins. Kirsten wants to be a Clone. Really? Not a princess, a witch even? Nope. A Clone.

I too wanted to see Nie Nie on Oprah. Funny. I never watch her either. I'd have to watch TV first and when I've kids around, it isn't something that even crosses my mind. Oprah? She's still on? :) Gasp! I'm not an Oprah lover either.

Having a son with special needs has helped my kids a little. They are around other kids with special needs although every once in awhile they'll make a comment and I come down on them in a heated flash. I'm glad you've been able to learn positive things while reading Nie Nie and you've become a better person because of her. I think she'd like that. I think she'd like that a lot and feel that putting herself out there is worth it.

Chastina said...

If I remember correctly Denae Holt recorded it. You could also go to Oprah.com to view the story (I'm not sure if it's video or pictures though).

PMC said...

i will remember this..because even though we don't get it as kids...when we finally get it as an adult we have "it" there so we have something to GET...we will just keep teaching and loving..you are awesome natalie.

The Nixons said...

Oh Natalie, I loved this post of yours. I watched Nie Nie on Oprah yesterday and she was fabulous and beautiful as always. I'm sorry I didn't record it.

I have also learned so much from reading Nie's blog. She makes me look at being a mom in a whole new light.

Guest said...

I offer a hearty "Amen" to your words; what's more...I believe them, too.

Richard & Natalie said...

Rachel- I took Emma to the store the other day to look at costumes. I pointed out all the girlie ones and she took a liking to a skeleton & Scooby-doo. what are we to do do with our little tom boys?!?
I'm glad I'm not alone on Oprah!
I've always been protective of people with special needs; I just never realized I actually believed all those 'phrases' I got lectured on as a kid- until now.
Chastina- Thanks. I will check with Denae.

Misty- Teach and love away and they will get it- someday.

Julie- If I don't get watch it when you have your baby I will come over,cook you dinner, and you can give me a recap!

Guest- If you believe them too, then I am in good company.

Gerb said...

I wholeheartedly agree. Beautiful post.

Fireplace Repair Pasadena said...

Great readinng your blog