Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Comical Truth About Utah and its Weather

I love humor.

If you are quick with the wit, I will be your biggest fan. In fact, some of you may not know it, but this is one of Richard's most endearing qualities. Hence, I am his biggest fan, but I also find Jeff Foxworthy to be very chuckle-able. Of course, I love his redneck jokes, but his other material is also quite humorous and for the most part, clean too. I'm a little giddy when we are able to catch a re-run of his Blue Collar Comedy Tour on the Comedy Channel, because between Jeff and his cohorts, it is usually a good hour or so of pure amusement.

The thing that makes their material so comical is the element of truth behind it. It is this element of truth that we relate to because somewhere along the way we've met someone or had an experience that is the reality behind the satire.

I was reminded about this element of truth the other day as I ran  in the rain. I am a bad weather running wimp, so this was a first for me- but besides looking like a drowned rat when I got home it was  awesome! As I dodged and hurdled puddles I thought of the previous day's weather- I woke up to snow...I barbequed that evening under a almost cloudless blue sky...and went to bed that night with my window slightly cracked open which was quickly shut at some unearthly hour due to the wind that began to usher in the storm in which I was then running. Can you say crazy? Unpredictable? Perhaps, even hyperactive?  Such is the weather in Utah.

But that day I found it comical due to an e-mail my mom forwarded to me a few days earlier. It was titled "Foxworthy on Utah" and contained many jokes related to the haphazard weather we in Utah, love or loathe so much. Now I don't know if Foxworthy really came up with these, but I still got a chuckle and  I hope you do too.

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you live in Utah.


If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in Utah.


If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed the wrong number, you live in Utah.


If 'vacation' means going anywhere south of Salt Lake City for the weekend, you live in Utah.


If you measure distance in hours, you live in Utah.


If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you live in Utah.


If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' and back again in the same day, you live in Utah.


If you install security lights on your house and garage but leave both doors unlocked, you live in Utah.


If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in Utah.


If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you live in Utah.


If the speed limit on the highway is 75 mph -- you're going 80, and everyone is still passing you, you live in Utah.


If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you live in Utah.


If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction, you live in Utah.


If you find 10 degrees 'a little chilly' you live in Utah.


If you actually understand these jokes and forward them to all your friends, you live in Utah.

I guess now in that last line you can add the words "or post in on your blog," but he truth remains the same I understood and laughed at every one. So yes, I am from Utah, born and bred....and Ill even admit, I'm proud of it.....wacky weather and all.

5 comments:

Chastina said...

LOL! Thank you for the laugh. I love Jeff Foxworthy's clean jokes. Talking about weather did you see the forecast for this week? About 80 on Tuesday then back to about 60 and stormy (rain possibly snow). It's definitely spring in Utah!

Gerb said...

I read these to Allen and we both had a great laugh. Thanks! Too funny - yet so true!

Carrilyne said...

Soo true!! lol!! I loved them!

Teachinfourth said...

I guess I must live in Utah...

Richard & Natalie said...

Chastina, It's definitely spring in Utah or should I call it "still winter".

Gerb, I'm glad you two got a laugh. They were meant to be shared, for sure.

Carrilyne, I knew you would love them after running in that rain storm too.

TF, I guess you passed the test and can continue to live here...