Saturday, April 17, 2010

Spring Marathon: Brides & Baseball

On Friday, April 9th, we had the opportunity to witness Richard's sister, Mary's marriage and sealing in the Manti temple. We are really grateful that she found DJ and for the love and respect he shows her. We couldn't have asked for anyone to love her more and that is a great blessing.  


Unfortunately, that pesky wind from earlier in the week continued to follow me and this time it had a bite to it. It was too cold to stick around the temple grounds after the ceremony to capture any pictures of the wedding party consisting of DJ and Mary's 9 kids (combined) decked out in their red and black finest.... but I will just tell you they were a very handsome looking bunch.
Another reason to not hang around besides the wind, is that our tummies were talking. Since it was going to be hours before the wedding dinner we made a stop at the Malt Shop in Ephraim, for a snack of french fries, onion rings, and shakes- like peanut butter Reese's peanut butter cup, my favorite.

After we all had sufficiently gorged ourselves on french fried fatty goodness, we headed back to Moroni for the ring ceremony, wedding dinner, and eventually, the reception complete with cookie buffet.
But what do you do when you have six families who are an hour or two away from home, dressed in their Sunday best, and have 2 hours to kill before the reception starts?

You play baseball....of course! 
A few locals had challenged our boys to a game, so a few of the adults decided to get in there and help them out. 
It was a blast.
We had fun imagining what the Moronites might be saying about "City Folk" who play baseball in dressy clothes. As we see it, they probably think we are the epitome of awesome and have now started playing baseball in their own church clothes.

I even had a nice hit out behind second base.
It could have been a homerun if I would have slid into home plate.

But I figure there some things you just shouldn't do in a dress.



Congratulations Mary and DJ!
May you have many more happy years together.

6 comments:

Huffstuff said...

Looks like a really fun wedding. Esp the baseball game.

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Okay, it has to be said, YOU GUYS ARE COOL! Another memory for the books. I have never played softball/baseball in a dress. My kids are gonna start idealizing you!

Rachel said...

Sliding into home in a dress is fine.......it's the panty hose that's the problem. :D You still wear those things??? :P

Chastina said...

I've played basketball before in a dress, but I've never played baseball in a dress. I might have to try it sometime.

Teachinfourth said...

Never played baseball in a dress before so I'm really not qualified to answer your question; however, I've played football in 'dress clothes' before and it was a blast.

Good thing it wasn't tackle.

Richard & Natalie said...

Sheece, I can't speak for DJ and Mary, but I think the game was the best part of the whole day. ;)

Lyndee, Just trying to keep up with you! :)

Rachel, Not those particular ones anymore- they were in shreds by the time I got around the bases. Pantyhose? NO! Ugh! I am not a grandma. Thigh highs? Yes. Why? I hear you ask. Because I have this little skin condition called keratosis pilaris and if I don't have a tan I look like a plucked chicken! So I figure it's better to wear thigh highs than have chicken skin at church and in the temple.
TMI? Sorry.

Chastina, It sounds like the good makings of a fabulous YW or Girls Camp activity...

TF, Can't tell you how glad I am to hear that! (Esp. after what today's post is named.) Whew...I'll sleep better now. :)

I'm glad it wasn't tackle either- those grass stains are the dickens!