Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spring Marathon: Odds & Ends

Just a few small experiences and tid bits to wrap up our Spring Break (esp. since it ended a week and a half ago)....

*Ashton had a dream that he had a pet turtle and he has driven us crazy wanting one since. We did find a very nice 20 gallon aquarium complete with a screened lid which normally sells for $80-100 for $8 at our local DI! Woo HOO! SCORE! Now he is saving to buy a $109 turtle which is supposed to live for 35 years...for that much money the dang thing should live forever.

*Price is a great place to buy leftover Easter candy at discounted prices. Especially, the huge Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs. I bought 3 at half price. I wish I would've bought more...but then again I went swimsuit shopping yesterday morning and I think that 3 was probably 3 too many.

*I got the chance to be Octo-Mom for a day when 4 of my sister-in-law's children stayed with us while she went on her honeymoon. During this time, I was told that "I ROCK" because I made cinnamon rolls for breakfast and when I told my 8 year old nephew it was time to take him home he whined and asked if they really had to leave. When yes, was my reply he said, " No! We're gonna live here and YOU'RE gonna like it!" Well.....what do you say to that?
If I could have kids who thought I was that cool all the time, I might have 2 dozen! But for now I'll love being the "favorite aunt" and take this to mean that I'll make a fabulous grandma in 20 or 30 years...

*Upon leaving our adventure in Price we headed up the canyon towards home. As the van climbed  the winding road we drove straight into a snow storm. The snow wasn't sticking to the road, but the fluffy flakes were coming down fast enough that it made it somewhat difficult to see and with windy roads and oncoming traffic it was enough to make one a little nervous, even with a trusted leader to follow.
Since we had forgotten to have a prayer before we got on the road, I decided that that moment would be an appropriate time. Since Ashton had offered one the night before when we left Goblin Valley, Ashton's friend Matthew, was asked to do the honors. A short and simple prayer was offered and I don't think "Amen" had even left his lips when the snow seemed to abruptly stop.
All three boys were astonished at the instant change and each commented on how cool it was that our prayer was answered. Who knows....it may have just been that at that exact moment we reached the summit and came out of the storm.....or maybe not.
I like to believe the latter.
After all, that is what those three boys believe happened and aren't we admonished to become like little children? Whatever it was, I know it is an experience we all won't soon forget.

*I changed the oil in our van on the Friday that Spring Break started. The following Saturday when I was driving home from eating at Utah Noodle in Ogden for Grandpa Parke's 74th birthday, I looked down at the odometer and realized that by the time I arrived home I would've gone 1000 miles over the course of the last week.
Wow. It really was a Spring Marathon.

5 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Wow, you have been quite the busy bee…there's always something to be said about being the faved relative, isn't there?

Rock on, you.

Jeanne said...

YOU are also "the favorite daughter," too, you know! Thanks for the fill in. Makes me tired reading about it all!
Love you,
Mom

Richard & Natalie said...

TF, Yes, we were...and...yes, there most certainly is...and... it is awesome isn't it? Last, but not least, I plan to. ;)

Mom, You know, that doesn't sound so special considering the fact that I am your ONLY daughter...
Opening your eyes should make you tired right now. You have pneumonia for heaven's sake! Go back to bed! Oh, & love you too.

A GAL NEEDS... said...

And here I thought you were going to blog about another running adventure! No kidding when you say marathon to fit that Spring Break! And yes, in about 13 years (my prediction), you will be a ROCKIN' Grandma!

Chastina said...

I didn't realize how busy your spring break was. You definitely know how to "go the distance."