Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Spring Marathon: Price & the Dinosaur Museum

As we returned from the hike in Little Wild Horse Canyon and pulled into the parking lot of our campground there was commotion all around. It only took one look at my own tent to guess what everyone else was excited about. The wind had significantly picked up while we were gone and the fiberglass poles of my tent and others in our camp were no match against it. My tent was flattened, others in our group had been blown down, and Ashton and Matthew's tent had everything covered with sand.

No biggie... We had a minivan we could sleep in- the boys in the back on an air mattress and me across the front seats. Others in our group planned to take shelter for the night in their own vehicles or in the stronger spring pole tents. The problem was solved....or so we thought.

Around dinner time the wind really picked up as a storm blew in. When we made a barricade to block the wind from blowing the cheese off of our sandburgers as they finished cooking and the stronger spring pole tents toppled over like dominoes a decision was made that things were only getting worse, so it was time to pack up and head home.

Everyone flew into take down mode. I was astonished at how quickly camp came down and we were on the road home. It was really impressive how well everyone worked together.

At a little after 9pm we were headed toward Green River to top off on gas and fill up on caffeine for the long drive ahead of us. On the way to Green River I was tempted to get a hotel because exhaustion was setting in and I wasn't sure I could safely make it home. The decision was made for me since we found out that Provo was having a snowstorm and Spanish Fork Canyon had snow covered roads and patches of black ice, so the group decided to continue on to Price and get a hotel there.

So with one room for the girls and one room for the boys we found somewhere to sleep for the night. And can I tell you...a hotel room floor has never felt so good. I was so tired that the next morning I had to apologize to the lady I had been talking to before I feel asleep, because one minute I was lucid and into our conversation and the next minute all of the caffeine from my Dr. Pepper wore off and I was out. Like a light. And according to my hubby, I probably need to apologize to the whole room of girls because apparently when I am really exhausted I snore like a grizzly. Anyway...

After a goodnight's rest we made a trip to the College of Eastern Utah's Dinosaur Museum and a Chinese Buffet before heading home. The boys really enjoyed the whole museum, but my favorite part was the Native American displays. As we looked at projectile points (Did you know that is what they call arrowheads now?), woven baskets and pottery, grinding stones and dioramas of different tribes living conditions, I was struck with what a lazy amenity blessed life I lead. It was really humbling and well worth the stop. It made me really appreciate the hot shower I had that morning even more than I already did and after two days in the blowing sand that's saying a lot.

I guess they didn't get enough of playing in the sand in Goblin Valley. 
 Dallin- too cool.
Showing the dinosaur some love.
Me and the boys tee-peeing it.

5 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Glad you were able to have fun on your trip…hopefully, next time the weather will be a little bit more cooperative.

Also, it's good to see that Ben and Ashton have the ability to smile in a photo or two.

Rachel said...

If I'd have been there...... we'd have had to get our own hotel room. ParTAY in our room!! Gab all night, food full of calories, and chick flicks. :)

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Ah, the adventure of it all. That's what makes a trip a trip.

Chastina said...

So glad you were able to make it a fun trip, even with the set backs.

Richard & Natalie said...

TF, We can always hope. But you know what? I'd do it all over again even if it didn't.

Rachel, Speaking of partying, snacking, gabbing, and chick flicking all night...you still need to come to girls night!

Lyndee, You are so right. It is the trips like these that we remember the most and like the best.

Chastina, Set backs? What set backs? It was just all a part of the adventure. :)