Monday, April 26, 2010

Mommy Retreat

Moving is always difficult; in one way or another, there is always hardship involved. When we moved to Provo from British Columbia, I found this to be particularly true. Although we loved our time in Canada, our move here was a good thing; we were back in the states, we were closer to family, and we bought our first home. Things were good. Life was good. But there was still a void. The void was that feeling of security that living in a place that feels like home brings. I figured that in time the void would be filled and Provo would finally feel like home and I was right....only it took a little longer than I thought.

In late October, I was invited to and started attending a weekly Craft Night with these ladies.

 In December, I told Richard that Provo finally felt like home. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don't think so. These ladies and some other associations have filled my void and given me that security that belonging brings.

 Friday night, I went away for a night in Park City with some of these friends. We stayed in a 10 million dollar home complete with 5 master suites, 3 kitchens, theater room, elevator, and hot tub.

This particular home has been rented by the likes of Justin Timberlake & Jessica Biel (pre-split), Tony Romo, and Will Smith....and now my friends and I. Only we didn't have to pay the steep per night rental fee- we enjoyed ourselves for free (Thanks Kari & Duncan)! Seriously, it doesn't get any better than that.

We had dinner in Park City at the Loco Lizard and then headed up to the house.
Once we were there all the girl fun began....
We fit all 11 of us in the hot tub.
There was nail painting courtesy of Carrilyne.


Some of us even played in the snow....and then hopped right back in the hot tub to warm up.


We stayed up too late watching a movie in the theater and even later just talking in bed.
In the morning some slept in, but my internal alarm would not let me. At 6:28 I woke to find this view from my window. It was amazing....even if Bigfoot didn't walk by (This is an inside joke for Chastina my roommate for the night and awesome backyard neighbor).
 Bummer.


At 7:00, when I realized I wasn't going to go back to sleep, I laid in bed and read for the next hour and a half which was as welcome as sleeping in would've been.

When everyone was awake and dressed we left to go and do what girls do best....shop!
Only I must not be very good at it because the 2 things I went looking for I came home without. Oh well, I guess there will just have to be a next time.

When we were worn out from shopping and lack of sleep, we headed back to Provo. When I arrived Richard was hard at work building shelves for our food storage in the crawl space, which only meant one thing- the kids, especially the boys, had been left to their own devices.
This is never a good thing.
One has to wonder what happened in my absence, when you find my youngest dressed in Halloween clothes, a  full sized shovel in the middle of the kitchen, every surface of said kitchen covered, and a mystery substance on the floor that is wet yet very sticky.......never mind, I don't want to know.
 It doesn't matter anyway, I was home.

11 comments:

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I completely understand how you feel. Friends are SO important. I never knew just how true that was until I moved here and I didn't have any (conveniently close by). And then I met you guys. It has been a life saver. Such a diverse group a woman too. I LOVE IT!

Jeanne said...

At least Emma had clothes on! even if it were a Halloween Costume. And, I think Richard and the boys left the shovel for you to use cleaning up the kitchen. How thoughtful! What you needed when you came home was not the Retreat, but a "Reprieve" - temporary relief, as from Pain! I know you had it all orderly and neat in a flash! Glad you enjoyed the "house." Jeanne

Jeanne said...

P.S. "House" meaning the one you stayed in at Park City, NOT the one you came home to!

Tami Anderson said...

You know, Dallin wrote about your weekend in his journal. He didn't miss any of the details.

That looks like so much fun. I REALLY need to do this!

Julie said...

I just wanted to say that it was great to meet you in the Goblins. :) I think you are just fabulous!

Rachel said...

Sniffle....sniffle.....choke..........sniffle.......

:D I'm glad you were able to get away. So fun!

PMC said...

that is so awesome! i am so glad you are feeling at home! that is so so good!

those pictures were a hoot!

Richard & Natalie said...

Lyndee, The diversity of our little group is what makes it work I think. So sad we will be losing a big contributor this summer.

Mom, Every other time I've gone away I've come home to a spotless house. And I appreciated the fact that he was building shelves to get the food storage out of our living room.

Tami, He was so jealous!! Yes, you should do it. I definitely consider it a must.

JULIE!!! I now have a link to you! Your comment made my day. I enjoyed getting to know you among the goblins and think that you are equally, if not more, FABULOUS!!!! How is the new house and furniture?

Rachel, I'm sorry. I wanted to ask you to come and I almost did, but I wasn't the one setting it up, so I didn't think it was my place to do my own inviting. Next year... :)

Misty, It really was a good time. You like those pics, eh? I bet you especially loved the one where my skin blends in with the snow. :)

Rob and Marseille said...

looks like tons of fun!
we need to make shelving for our foodstorage in our crawlspace. any tips?

Unknown said...

What an awesome get-together. Even though I did just have a great vacation myself, I'm kind of jealous. That house is amazing. And I cannot believe you actually laid yourself out across the snow in a bathing suit. Girl, you have lost your mind.

Richard & Natalie said...

Marseille, My tip for you on the shelving would be- DO NOT go away to Park City when Rob builds it. That is unless you really love to clean when you get home.

Lori, I was so warm from the hot tub it wasn't even noticeable. If you think I lost my mind in that one, you should see the others...;)