Thursday, November 19, 2009

Predicting the Future

It seems everyone around me is excited for Christmas. Some of my friends are already listening to Christmas music (which I think is a sin, until after Thanksgiving) and one of my friends in Canada even has her tree up.

I am not there yet folks. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around Christmas this year and it's bugging me.  And then the fact that it's bugging me starts to bug me.

Maybe it's because Thanksgiving isn't even over yet; it is still in fact, a week away, and  my children are on their 2nd or 3rd Christmas lists already.
Or
Maybe it's because all my Christmas money is still tied up in a dedicated savings account waiting for its maturity date. That's got to be it... Shopping would definitely make me feel better...
Or
Maybe, it's because I have a cold; my head is foggy and my teeth even hurt, plus being snotty always makes me a little snotty.
Or
Maybe, it's because my hubby's supposed vacation time next week has gotten eaten up by a business trip, yet again...
Or
Maybe, it's because I am stressing over being asked to substitute and teach Relief Society this Sunday.  I haven't been in RS for how many years, let alone ever taught it, so I really hope the ladies in my ward like to play concentration and color pretty pictures to take home because that is the type of teaching I'm used to.

But there is one thing I am enjoying about the upcoming Christmas season; something a mother can never use to early in the year, but works particularly well with Christmas only a month a way- the phrase "Santa's elves are watching."
Even the most whiny, disobedient, and unruly child feels the power of that phrase- especially mine.  Call me evil, I don't care. A mom has to do, what a mom has to do, to get things done and the phrase is it.

So I unveiled the phrase the other day when I could no longer stand looking at the playroom that looked more like a war zone; complete with overturned furniture and all. Dallin and Ben were given their orders- clean the playroom and remember...Santa's elves are watching. They worked, but I didn't get up there to check it out until yesterday and I found it still needed a lot of work.

Dallin stayed home from school since he threw up during the night in his sleep...first off, before I go on, someone please tell me how that is possible?  How can you sleep through vomiting? Anyway, since he was feeling well enough to play soccer in my kitchen, I figured he was well enough to clean. So I herded them up to the playroom along with all of the phrases:
"It won't take that long."
"You'll feel so good once it's done."
 "Daddy will be so surprised to see it clean when he gets home."
 And of course,
"And remember, Santa's elves are watching."

I opened the toy room closet and found this from the previous cleaning attempt...


If Santa's elves are watching, I predict coal in two boy's futures.

11 comments:

Gerb said...

I am SO with you on Christmas!! And Relief Society. I substituted once, in similar circumstances (had been in Primary forEVER!!) and taught the only way I knew how. I told stories, we put together a big puzzle on the board with little messages behind each piece, we sang songs throughout the lesson and even had treats at the end. They loved it.

I think sometimes adults forget to have fun, too.

Denae said...

the word Christmas makes me break out in hives... well right now it does.

I am super excited for RS! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Rachel said...

Natalie! How could you take photos of my toy closet and put it up for the world to see???? Evil twin is right!

Subbing in RS.....if I were you I'd come down with epilepsy real quick. That or invest in some Depends cuz that is what I'd be doing........

I just bought a book with an elf that you place around the house for the kids to find (the elf...not the book). So now I can really say the elves are watching!

Brennan did ask for coal one year when he was about Matthew and Ashtons age. He'd learned in scouts that coal turns to diamonds so he asked for coal!

PMC said...

nice toy closet! looks very familiar. maybe i saw one at rachel's house one day....ha ha ha ha!!!!!! are you not in primary anymore??? what is up with that? :)

Huffstuff said...

I should have read this before calling you. AMEN! I love the phrase and use it. Although it now only works on 2 out of 4 children. And I'd like Dallin to answer the vomit question. Curious:) and..... RS would be fun if they had sharing time to color, and play games. I say go for it...lorl!

Richard & Natalie said...

Gerb- I had a feeling you would be. I love that you taught RS like Primary; you just made my life a whole lot easier.

Denae- Me too. Well, not hives, but panic... I am usually about done shopping by now.
Don't get too excited just yet.

Rachel- I snuck in while you were knitting that lovely sweater. You know I hate being humiliated by myself (remember the big tube of flannel toothpaste yesterday?).

Misty- Ha, ha, ha. You are funny! To know about Primary see my post titled "Feedback".

Sheece- Sorry, you got the verbal dump. I felt better after talking with you, I always do. The phrase is wonderful. I still have a house of 4 believers, but will probably pop the bubble for one of them this year. Sad day.

Rachel said...

I heard that Misty!! I'd be offended excepting my punks learned it from yours! :)

Chastina said...

Dang! It's my turn to teach in YW so I won't be able to sneak into RS to hear your lesson. I know you'll do great.

My hubby finally gave me the money to get Christmas shopping started. Now where did I put that Christmas wish list for my kids?

Rachel said...

Chastina, you got rid of it remember? You told Misty it would be liberating. :D

Guest said...

Coal? I would have figured it would've been reindeer poop...

Richard & Natalie said...

Guest- Perhaps the threat of reindeer poop would get better results...