Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween 2009


With Halloween falling on Saturday this year it seems like we had 2 Halloweens- Friday at school  with the class parties and annual costume parade and Sat. at home. That made for a very fun Halloween! 
On Friday, I was able to help with both Ashton's & Dallin's class parties. I forgot my camera for Ashton's party, but it was held at a the home of a boy in his class who doesn't live far from the school. This boy's mom planned the whole thing and took up about 2 hrs with great activities.  It was fun and I am glad I was able to go and help.


Dallin's party consisted of making pumpkin puppets, halloween songs and poems, and lots and lots of sugar. The room mothers brought doughnuts & apple juice for refreshments and a girl in the class also brought cupcakes for everyone- every 1st graders dream... doughnuts and cupcakes both!
D with his teacher, Mrs. Anderson


The whole class in costume and hopped up on sugar.



These are the types of things 1st graders do when they've had too much sugar;
They talking in funny voices while their pumpkin puppet dances around, making their mom laugh.


They stick out their tongues at parents trying to get cute pictures; making the parents more successful than they planned to be.


And they give their friends "bunny ears" adding to the goofy face they are already pulling.

Friday night I had the chance to drive kids in Ashton's class to their Super Activity.  This was a special activity for those kids who had not missed more than 4 assigments this term.  We went to Doc's Pizza Buffet where they tried to out eat Mr. Z in pizza and then to Comedy Sportz, which is an improv group similar to 'Whose Line is it Anyway'.  It was very fun and the kids had a great time.
We were supposed to dress up for a costume contest, so I dragged out my witch and queen costume from the costume tote and Ashton and Richard both told me to wear the queen costume. After seeeing the pictures... I think they were wrong.  I think it should have stayed in the costume tote or better yet, gone in the DI tote to be given away. I can't believe they let me go out looking like that.
I'm hoping the pics look worse than I did in person.


Saturday we finally carved some of our pumpkins, most of which we actually grew ourselves.

Richard finishing Dallin's "Y".



Ashton with his pumpkin pre and post carving.  He did it all by himself this year. Very cool.




I did not buy Emma a costume this year.  She never really took to anything at the store and I wasn't even sure she would keep one on. So I didn't want to spend any money when I knew we had 3 or 4 costumes at home that would work just fine.  After trying out a cow costume for about 15 minutes, she decided to be a gorilla.
Not exactly feminine.


But she did want to leave on the Halloween skirt she had been wearing all day, so at least she was a girl gorilla.




For trick or treating Ashton wanted to have a different costume since he didn't think our neighbors would know who Mr. Z was, so he decided to be a ninja.
He had a hard time deciding what to be and waited until the last minute to pick his costume.  He told me that he thought, "he should be a spy or ninja, since that fit his personality." 
Try to keep a straight face, sitting in the car next to him when he says something like that.
He cracks me up and sometimes I wonder about the world he lives in inside that head of his.



The whole crew...





... doing what they do best on Halloween...begging for candy.


Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

Gerb said...

Funny, All-a-Boy said the almost same thing when he told me what he was going to dress up as for trick-or-treating: "A ninja outfit suits me pretty well, I think. because I'm really sneaky and stuff."

Cute kids!

James Robles said...

Thanks for shariing